First Cheese!

Started by drano, February 06, 2011, 08:18:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

drano

OK, after reading all of the posts on smoking cheese, I tried it out today.
8 oz mozzarella
8 oz cheddar jack
8 oz Colby
1 lb Colby jack
Used 5 apple pucks. 
It was about 25 deg F today so I thought it would be easy to keep the temps down, but not so.  I ended up putting ice in the water bowl and a cake pan of ice on the bottom tray.  Started at 65 then creeped up to 80 as the smoke went on.
Wow, all the posts about it smelling like cigarette ash are spot on!
I let it sit on the counter for about an hour, then vacuum sealed it.  Now the 4 week wait in the fridge. 

get smokin
drano

DTAggie

You can always crack the door if the temp gets too high as well.  Looks like it all turned out ok for you.  I would give it 6 to 8 weeks to rest at least.

La Quinta

Well done Drano...you're gonna love the cheese...I give it 2 weeks 3 tops...but it'll last a long time vac sealed and smoked...

As far as the temp...if you like the cheese...consider getting a cold smoke box set up....it really does make a difference and you don't really have to watch the box temp that much...not really at all....I cold smoke in the mid 40's here (with the box) and I just put the cheese in and come out 2 hours later...cold smoked salmon too...really awesome...and I'll throw in some onions...nuts...sliced potatoes...veggies...catfish...anything you want to add smoke to but not cook...wrap it up and cook as you see fit...

TestRocket

That's still on my to-do list and I would guess waiting the few weeks before you can taste it is the hard part! But for you the days are counting down.  Congrats!  ;D

SnellySmokesEm

Watch out!  Smoked cheese is addictive!
Is it bad if my wife refers to the smoker as "The Mistress"?
MasterBuilt Electric Smokehouse
Charbroil Red 4 Burner With Auto Clean
Big Easy Smoker Roaster Grill
BBQ Evangelist

Keymaster

I tried my first batch after 2-3/4 weeks and it was awesome. Its so good its  hard not to share with people but I have four pouches left and wife said no more for the people at work ;D

TCP

Looks good  ;)

I smoke cheese about every three months.
NOTICE SMOKING IS ALLOWED HERE :DNOTICE SMOKING IS ALLOWED HERE :D
Thanks,
Paul S. Grand Rapids, MI.

MidKnightRider

I've been smokeing it about twice a month thios winter.
Do not know what I'll do when summer hits here in the South East.
"A Constitution of Government once changed from Freedom, can never be restored. Liberty, once lost, is lost forever."John Adams
The Big Easy
OBS
ProQ Smoke Gererator
Little Chief Front Loader
Chair-Broil Electric Smoker
Thermos Gas Grill
http://www.susanminor.org/forums/index.php
BBQ Evangelist