Cold Smoker - cheap but no cardoard box

Started by rloethen, May 29, 2010, 04:09:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rloethen

I was searching this site for different ways of building a cold smoker, and wanted something safer than a cardboard box.  I may not have looked hard enough, but I didn't find anything, so I wandered the aisles at Lowes and found what I think is a good alternative to the $100 Bradley version.

Materials List:

• standard size metal mailbox ($10)
  • 4" diameter aluminum dryer hose ($10)
  • two 4" couplers ($2 each)
  • small tube of 100% silicone caulk
  • aluminum foil bread pan (5 pound size) with sides bent up

It is pretty self-explanatory how I built this based on the pictures.  The most precise thing is to get the 4 1/4" hole in the right spot for the smoke generator to align perfectly. To do this, I butted the smoke generator up to the back of the mailbox on a flat surface, and with a sharpie, drew where the top of the burner plate hit.  Then I cut out a 4 1/4" circle as a template and placed it precisely so the burner is in the center of the circle and traced around it with the sharpie.  If you don't want sharp edges on the outside, cut the hole smaller than the drawn circle and then cut fins to the edges of the circle and bend them in (wearing gloves).  The silicone I primarily used just for sealing the space next to the outlet coupler, and along the folded back metal fins on the inside to keep from getting cut and stuck each time I reach into the box.

After letting the silicone cure completely overnight, I gave it a trial run and it works awesome! The box does get hot, especially directly above the burner, but in my opinion, it's a lot safer than using a cardboard box.

There you have it...a redneck cold smoker.   :)

TTNuge

FLBentRider

Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

pensrock

Nice job, do you put the flag up when its hot?  ;) ;D

squirtthecat

Brilliant!   That will haul the mail..

Up In Smoke

2 Bradley OBS
Some people are like Slinkies... They're really good for nothing.
...But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

BuyLowSellHigh

I like animals, they taste good!

Visit the Recipe site here

KevinG

Rodney Dangerfield got his material from watching me.
Learn to hunt deer www.lulu.com/mediabyKevinG

KyNola

Dang it, you guys took all of the clever lines so I'll just say that is way too cool.

DTAggie

classicrockgriller

Welcome to the Forum!

Will you be able to get Smoke delivered on Sundays?

That is very nice. Great Job.

Quarlow

Ok I am stealing that idea. That is the coolest cold box I have seen. A wicked paint job would finish that off nicely. In fact I am going to make 2 of them, one for my brother. One thing for sure you can cold smoke threw wind and sleet and rain or hail with that box. :D :D :D
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

KevinG

Wow Q you nailed mailed that one.  :D
Rodney Dangerfield got his material from watching me.
Learn to hunt deer www.lulu.com/mediabyKevinG

rloethen

Thanks!  Yeah, I need to get some racing flames painted on the side - now that the proof of concept is solid.

Quarlow

How about Ice cubes and penguins. ;D Kind of like this but saying Bradley or something.

This is one of my wifes fav games on POGO.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.