Cold Smoker - cheap but no cardoard box

Started by rloethen, May 29, 2010, 04:09:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

precookingsmoker

I tested a different design today. It is designed to cold smoke meat below 95 degrees F, that will be cooked afterward, like hamburgers etc., and additionally, fresh caught salmon after proper preparation for this cold smoking. When cold smoking is finished, salmon will be placed in a hot smoker for the final safety 160 degree stage. The smoker is built from a modified barbeque. All internal heating elements and controls are removed. The barbeque is fairly well sealed but will have gaps around the big windowed lid which will allow smoke to vent. The smoke is generated by a remounted side burner placed down low on the barbeque frame. A 8" tall stainless steel container with a lid contains the Hickory wood. The lid has a 50 cent size hole in the center and has 3" ducting elbow (swiveling) permanently mounted and a 3" ducting pipe going to the underside of the barbeque where it is joined with another swiveling elbow going up into the barbeque underside where a normal air vent is located. Todays test put a good brownish color on the TOP of the frozen patties. I need to find out why only the top got smoked. I suspect the de-thawing ice may have kept the bottom of the patties too wet, or (maybe) I need to place a diverting shield over the smoke INPUT vent to slow down the smoke velocity entering from the underside. We'll see.....

Habanero Smoker

Hi precookingsmoker;

Welcome to the forum.

Sounds like an interesting project. You should start another post; either in the General Discussion or Non Bradley Equipment. A few pictures would be nice to take a look at what you built.

As for cold smoking frozen foods not only will the condensation interfere with the smoke from penetrating and adhering, but if the temperature is too cold that will also interfere with smoke penetration and adhesion.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

precookingsmoker

OK Habanero.... Here are 3 pictures which might have some value to Bradley users as a cheap source of LPG generated cold smoke from discarded Barbeques using ducting. LPG has an immense energy compared to electric, natural gas, or wood fuel, so a (VERY) dense smoke is generated VERY FAST even with a minimal setting of the flame. Strange aluminium shapes are to control heat away from box and to control flame shape under Hickory loaded vessel during gusting winds. The rest of the aluminium should be obvious draft sealing. Takes less than 1/2 hour to get strong hickory flavor in these two pre-frozen(yuK!) patties for an example.

Habanero Smoker

Very unique idea. Thanks for the photos. That helps explain your setup. If I ever get around to replacing my old grill I may copy your conversion.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

KevinG

That's a pretty beefy tripod setup for that camera you got there, but we're going to have to get you smoking some more to put some meat on them bones.  ;D
Rodney Dangerfield got his material from watching me.
Learn to hunt deer www.lulu.com/mediabyKevinG

Mr B

VERY cool idea, rloethen.  Smart thinkin'.

smokinmac

TCP

Nice job, but how do you get you mail now  ??? ??? ??? ??? ;D
NOTICE SMOKING IS ALLOWED HERE :DNOTICE SMOKING IS ALLOWED HERE :D
Thanks,
Paul S. Grand Rapids, MI.

Brisket Lover

Love it. I'm going to build this, this weekend. I've been looking for ideas on a cold smoke setup and this fits the bill.

Brisket Lover

So I did build this a few weeks back and it worked out great.  Total price was under $30.  The cold smoked cheese will be ready to sample this week to see if it is ready.  I can't wait.

Thanks again for this genius idea!

TCP

I did this and it works great and for the price you can not beat it.  :o
NOTICE SMOKING IS ALLOWED HERE :DNOTICE SMOKING IS ALLOWED HERE :D
Thanks,
Paul S. Grand Rapids, MI.