Wild turkey jerky

Started by antiochrich, May 30, 2010, 10:49:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

antiochrich

My first attempt at turkey jerky with my new OBS. Should have ordered the jerky racks but oh well, improvised with my dehydrator. No heat yet (except for the smoke plate) so hopefully I don't melt the thing down. Figure I would smoke for 2 hours and then just let it finish off until done...

FLBentRider

Looks interesting. Watch that the smoke doesn't gum up the fan in your dehydrator.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

antiochrich

There is no fan. Just a heat element. Done with smoke so I took it off and now just waiting.

aces-n-eights

US Army, retired, x2
Soldotna Alaska
"One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well."
Psalm 109:8

Gizmo

Quote from: antiochrich on May 30, 2010, 10:49:12 AM
My first attempt at turkey jerky with my new OBS. Should have ordered the jerky racks but oh well, improvised with my dehydrator.

My suggestion would be to forget getting Jerky Racks and go with Hi-Temp screens.  Much more useful and the non-stick won't peel off like it does on the racks.

Nice setup with the dehydrator.  Looks like the first dehydrator I had.  No fan, just a heating element in the bottom that everything would drip down on.  I replaced it with the Nesco that has a heating element and fan on top.  Now if I would have had the bradley back then......
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

antiochrich

My suggestion would be to forget getting Jerky Racks and go with Hi-Temp screens.  Much more useful and the non-stick won't peel off like it does on the racks.
[/quote]

Okay Gizmo and thanks, I was actually looking for some type of hi-temp screens out shopping today while waiting for the jerky but couldn't find any. I still do need four more racks so if you have any suggestions on where to get and what type it will be appreciated.

All in all the turkey jerky took 8 1/2 to 9 hours (still have a few pieces in the dehydrator) after a 24 hour brine. Next time I will make sure I dry off the pieces much better before putting them in and slice them a little thinner. I used a meat slicer and had them at about 5/16" thick.

Next up will probably be the pheasants or some ducks although I still have quite a bit of wild turkey breasts and favors to repay.

FLBentRider

Begolf25, a forum member, runs the yard and pool website. They have your screens, racks, bisquettes, and whatnot.

Great customer service.
Jerky screens:
http://www.yardandpool.com/High-Temperature-Jerky-Drying-Screen-p/hitempjrky.htm
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

antiochrich

Quote from: FLBentRider on May 30, 2010, 06:53:28 PM
Begolf25, a forum member, runs the yard and pool website. They have your screens, racks, bisquettes, and whatnot.

Great customer service.
Jerky screens:
http://www.yardandpool.com/High-Temperature-Jerky-Drying-Screen-p/hitempjrky.htm

Good enough then, thanks.

Okay, how do most of you guys store your jerky? This has been brined pretty good but it is turkey meat.
By the way, I do have a vacuum sealer and want to send some to my cuz in Virginia.

Gizmo

If I think I can keep it for any length of time, vacuum pack and refrigerate or freeze.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

Quarlow

Around here we store ours in our bellies. It doesn't last long. But I put it in ziplocks and keep it in the fridge or freeze it.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

DTAggie

Smokers always find a way to improvise.

KevinG

So exactly how long did you let the meat smoke in that Wild Turkey alcohol?  ;D
Rodney Dangerfield got his material from watching me.
Learn to hunt deer www.lulu.com/mediabyKevinG