Smoked Halibut?

Started by swissy, June 01, 2005, 06:15:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

swissy

Anyone smoking halibut here? tried a little and it seems to be way different than the usual salmon smoking - much drier meat and all. Seems a 'secret' brine may be needed... anyone?

Any tips? Just got my Bradley and so far the salmon is awesome in it...

Kummok

Halibut is a much drier fish, oilwise, than salmon. Try less salt and less time than the salmon recipes. I've tried smoked halibut but, based upon the taste/texture[xx(], I haven't tried smoking it myself....yet!  I will likely give it a go in the future, just to see if I can come up with something edible, but if you hit on the right combination Swissy, I'm NOT opposed to "smoker plagiarism" here at 'The Halibut Capitol of the World' if you report success here on the forum[;)][:D][:D]

35 years of extinguishing smoking stuff and now I'm wondering WHY!
Kummok @ Homer, AK USA

swissy

Thanks... I tried the less salt/time route and wasn't happy... but I'll keep working at it. Haven't tried in the Bradley yet as I just got mine. There is a place here in Anchorage on Diamond and King streets (Alaska Smoked Salmon) that makes a KILLER sweet cajun smoked halibut. Guess I'll have to go ask for their recipe<i> again</i>... I do every year! [;)]

BTW, just got back from Homer... got a weekends worth of Kings and 'buts to eat and smoke... I own 5 acres on Diamond Ridge I plan on building on as soon as I retire from AFD.

Jim

Kummok

Small world! I left AFD in 87...GREAT family there! Now sharing Homer with Ked Schoming and Jack Kurtzman and who knows who else from AFD[8D]

Congrats on the Kings....feeders or spawners?

Kummok @ Homer, AK USA

swissy

Well well well... I hired in '91 and worked under Ked at Station 5 for a while- him and Bob Helfrich! Don't suppose you know or remember Rick 'Dinty' Moore, a paramedic? Now living in Homer down east end road?? He just happens to be my brother-in-law!! It really can be a small world!

As far as the kings go, we got a couple of really nice feeders... about 30-35#. Actually going to be back down there the weekend of the 10th for 2 weeks fishing with Rick! Doubt the kings will still be biting as good, but gotta load up on Halibut for the coming year... and the smoker trials![8D]

if I get the recipe from AK Smoked Salmon I'll let you know...

JJC

Gee, I hate to break up the fond reminiscences going on, but . . . Welcome to the Forum, Swissy!  I'm with Kummock--please keep trying the halibut until you get it right and then let us all know how to do it!

John
Newton MA
John
Newton MA

Kummok

Uh Oh! John caught me getting fishing reports instead of smoking up his prescription![:D][;)]  Honestly John, I've got about 75-85# saved up to smoke and plan to get both Bradleys fired up W/I the next two weeks.[8D]

WOW Swissy! 30-35# Feeder!![:p][:p] That's a great catch.....our four were more in the 12-15# range, off Whale's Tail, using a "Purple Haze" Northern King flasher with single troll herring @ 40'. Heard some good size catches of the South Marker, but that's expected to be spawners up there.....NOT that I wouldn't eat/smoke a spawner mind you, but I prefer taking my chances catching small feeders than large spawners. A big one like yours, this late in the season is a rare blessing!

Ked's actually my neighbor and runs a charter business here, (http://www.alaskamorningglory.com/index.html)...had him over for fish tacos (green ling) last night. I don't remember Rick, but I also worked "Fightin' 5" back in early 80's.....Spenard was good for some VERY unique responses, e.g. the "Spenard Divorce", or the guy that chopped up his wife and put her in the fireplace and said "she fell in", (This IS a SMOKERS forum![:o)]), the "Foam Rubber Room", and MANY other bizzare runs [:0]  Give us a call when you're down if you'd like to have coffee....I'll let Ked and Jack know and have our own little AFD/Homer reunion @ Captain's Coffee![:D] Call info is at www.captainscabinalaska.com

OK John, AFD reminiscing's over...now back to yanking the boat up into the yard for restocking![;)][:D][8D]  Hope your Post-Op recovery is going GREAT! (Obviously your spelling's improved[;)][:D])

Kummok @ Homer, AK USA

Phone Guy

It's a small world isn't it Kummok?

swissy

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Kummok</i>
WOW Swissy! 30-35# Feeder!![:p][:p] That's a great catch.....our four were more in the 12-15# range, off Whale's Tail, using a "Purple Haze" Northern King flasher with single troll herring @ 40'. Heard some good size catches of the South Marker, but that's expected to be spawners up there.....NOT that I wouldn't eat/smoke a spawner mind you, but I prefer taking my chances catching small feeders than large spawners. A big one like yours, this late in the season is a rare blessing!
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Indeed they were nice... and damn tasty too! We grilled up a fillet that night and oh boy was she yummy.  We too caught them off whale's tail- green flasher (dunno make- garage sale special I think!) with troll herring at 25' (65' deep water) we had targets all over, mostly in the 17-30' range, with occasionals at 45' and so. We were back out the next day and same targets seen, same area and no bites at all! The ones we caught on Monday were bam-bam. I was actually on the phone with my wife telling not to worry about dinner since we caught it and the second hit- she heard the 'reel magic' as I tossed the phone down! [:D]

I have a couple chunks brining right now, and will try my first smoke job in the bradley. Hope it's as good as everyone says! [;)] I'll report back once I get it done...  I'll throw in a halibut chunck as well to start the 'testing' process...

Kummok

Mike:
It IS a small world! The forum has a way of shrinking it though....(Go CVHS Falcons!)

Jim:
Trust me, it IS as good as everyone says.....nothing wrong with the Big and Lil Chiefs, but the Bradley will spoil ya![:D][8D][:p]  Anxious to hear how you did on the 'but smoke[:p]

Kummok @ Homer, AK USA

birdboy

Dang, waz hoping for some good receipes...just caught a couple of these last weekend.

Waiting for the Salmon fishing to get good...

Kummok

Hey Birdboy....wait no longer! The Silvers (coho) are here! The Silvers are here!

Reports are coming in of large schools as close as "Green Can" and , of course, the Spit Pit! Last week I ran 26 miles to pick up some nice size Silvers at Dangerous Cape rips (well named point[:0])....now they're 1 mile offshore at the Spit![:p]

Kummok @ Homer, AK USA

Phone Guy

Kummok,
We are planning an Alaska trip probably next June. We have some friends in Soldatna and thought about flying into Anchorage and driving down through Soldatna and then to Homer. How is that drive? I told my Wife about your B&B and we are going to look into that as well.

Kummok

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Phone Guy</i>
<br />Kummok,
We are planning an Alaska trip probably next June. We have some friends in Soldatna and thought about flying into Anchorage and driving down through Soldatna and then to Homer. How is that drive? I told my Wife about your B&B and we are going to look into that as well.

Latter June is good, PG! Halibut, Kings (Chinook), and possibly Reds (Sockeye). If you'd like, I can send you our "Offshore fishing Info" standard letter that has some links to charters....lotsa pictures and info to get your fishing juices flowing. If I still have the boat, I'll take ya out, weather providing....we don't charter, but since I don't take money, I can be picky about who I take out [;)]
Concerning the drive down the Kenai from Anchorage, it's BEAUTIFUL!  Most of our guests do their trip that way. You'd want to book everything early though, especially the rental car....June and July are the months that everyone plans ahead and reserves their transportation/lodging EARLY. August/Sept seems to be when folks take their chances and wing it on such things. Write me off-forum if you'd like my take on local info, but checking out http://www.homeralaska.org/ will give you a good idea, from the tourism marketer's perspective, on what to expect in the Homer area.

Kummok @ Homer, AK USA

Chez Bubba

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Phone Guy</i>
<br />Kummok,
He's right about the drive, but then again, just about everywhere you drive in Alaska is beautiful. IIRC, Anchorage to Soldotna is about 3 hours, Homer is 1 hour more.

B&B's vary depending on their business plan, but hotel-wise, the flea-bag motels are $200 a night during tourist season. The nicer hotels are only about $225-250. Spend the extra money.

If you have the inclination to try for a monster on the Kenai, I would recommend contacting Dave at //www.hookycharters.com. First class service, nice guy. I don't have anything to compare to but was totally satisfied with our experience. We only caught 30#ers but someone in his son's boat landed a 65#.

If you have a digital camera, go out & buy more memory now. It's a lot more expensive up there & you'll take twice as many pictures as you think.

Do a lot of planning ahead of time & it will be one of your best vacations ever.[8D]

Kirk

ps, You won't find nicer hosts than Mr. & Mrs. Kummok.

http://www.chezbubba.com
Ya think next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non?" they would mind?
http://www.brianswish.com
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?