CT Knockoff - A Start (Maybe) ?

Started by BuyLowSellHigh, June 04, 2010, 01:51:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BuyLowSellHigh

All the enthusiasm for Carolina Treet here intrigues me.  If am confident it was the sauce my mother used for cooking chicken when I was a very small kid.  I'll spare you the details and just say I am not very fond of this type of barbecue cooking sauce.   I say this so you will understand why I am not interested in pursuing a CT Knockoff.  But, I will pass along this recipe that I strongly suspect is a good starting point for anyone interested in developing a CT Knockoff.  Here's the baseline recipe:

1 cup flour
2 tbsp. chili powder
2 tbsp. red pepper
2 tbsp. paprika
2 tbsp. sugar
2 tbsp. salt
2 tbsp. black pepper
1 qt. vinegar
1 qt. water

Sift flour with chili powder, red pepper, paprika, sugar, salt and black pepper. Add a little of the vinegar to make a paste. Gradually add rest of vinegar and water.

Heat to boiling point over medium heat, stirring constantly, as mixture tends to stick. Simmer 10 minutes.
Remove from heat and cool, stirring occasionally.

This will make about 3 1/2 pints. Store in refrigerator and use promptly. For longer storage, pour sauce into hot, sterilized pint canning jars and process in boiling water bath for 10 minutes.

I suspect the spice components will need to be adjusted - likely replace the chili powder with more paprika as a start, then go from there.

As best I can judge the principle here is to take a basic favored dry rub and dissolve/suspend it in a water & vinegar base using flour to thicken the mix and stabilize the suspension.  I would guess that principle could be applied to any favorite rub mixture.
I like animals, they taste good!

Visit the Recipe site here

Tenpoint5

Sounds like it could be in the ballbark for a trial run anyhow
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

classicrockgriller

CT has wheat flour in it and if you try heating it (CT) up on the stove top it GROWS to an HUGE animal.

BuyLowSellHigh

Quote from: classicrockgriller on June 04, 2010, 02:22:04 PM
CT has wheat flour in it and if you try heating it (CT) up on the stove top it GROWS to an HUGE animal.

So long as you go carefully and keep the temp under control with stirring it shouldn't be a problem - kind of like making a very simple gravy.

squirtthecat

Was just looking at the BIG bottle in the garage...

Wheat Flour
Soybean Oil

Not sure about the chili powder.   That might be covered by the ambiguous 'spices'.

BuyLowSellHigh

I pulled up the ingredients for CT - as listed, which must be in weight % order:
water, vinegar, wheat flour, salt, soybean oil, paprika, garlic, onion, xanthan gum, spices

So, using those as guide here's what I would try as a start :
Use water, vinegar and flour as listed in the recipe
Drop the sugar and chili powder
Add 2 Tbl ordinary veg oil (standard weeson or Crisco is soybean oil)
Add garlic and onion powder in the same amount as red pepper and black pepper, all ~ 2 tsp each.

That should put you in the ballpark.  I would also make a base of the water, vinegar, flour, salt and oil and then add the others in 1/2 of the amount, bring it together and start the simmer, immediately taste and adjust.