How cold does brine need to stay?

Started by Huntnfreak, June 04, 2010, 04:11:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Huntnfreak

I'm trying to figure out how I'm going to brine a few turkeys for a grad party.  Typically I brine them in a food safe 5 gallon bucket.  Normally I have set them outside over night when it is cold out.  Warm weather is here now and I don't think that is going to work.  I'm wondering if anybody has any ideas or just how cool I have to keep them?

BuyLowSellHigh

32-40 °F.  You can use a cooler (or coolers) and either mix your brine using ice as a partial replacement for some of the water -- use weight, 1 pt water = 1 lb ice -- or use ice packs or blocks (milk jugs of frozen water, ziplocks with ice cubes, etc).  I would not use the frozen gel packs - if one leaks it could contaminate your brine and render your turkey unfit for consumption.
I like animals, they taste good!

Visit the Recipe site here

Huntnfreak

Sounds like I'm going to have to invest in some more coolers!!  I have four turkeys to do.  Thanks.

Habanero Smoker

The closer you keep it to 40°F without going beyond that temperature is better. I like to brine at 38°F. If I am using a cooler I make the brine as directed and cool it down to 38°F before adding the meat or poultry, then I will place the blocks of ice or ice cubes in a sealable bag so it does not dilute the brine when it melts, and replace the ice as needed.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Quarlow

The boys got you covered with this. But hey why go buy coolers when you must have relatives with coolers. Just don't tell them you are going to float raw meat in them or they might not lend them to you. ;D ;D ;D
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

VI_Smoker

A question for the experts - could you not put the turkey and brine in a leak-proof bag and have that in the cooler with ice?  That way the relatives might not have a fit when they see a turkey bobbing in their cooler.

Any way you do it you are going to be busy preparing 4 turkeys  :)

Quarlow

I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: VI_Smoker on June 07, 2010, 12:45:39 PM
A question for the experts - could you not put the turkey and brine in a leak-proof bag and have that in the cooler with ice?  That way the relatives might not have a fit when they see a turkey bobbing in their cooler.

Any way you do it you are going to be busy preparing 4 turkeys  :)

You could but you should avoid regular garbage bags and use a food safe bag.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

BuyLowSellHigh

There are large heavy duty zipper bags sold for brining turkeys.  That's what I use, but then I only do one at a time and stash it in my 2nd fridge for the duration.
I like animals, they taste good!

Visit the Recipe site here