Started by alliecat61, June 04, 2010, 05:36:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alliecat61

I got my Bradley original last Sunday and I am going to give it a try tomorrow.  I have always been a griller, but love smoked food.  I'm going to try to smoke pork chops tomorrow and whole chickens on Sunday.  I have done a lot of beer can chickens on the grill.  Can it be replicated in the smoker?  If not, how do you guys cook whole chickens.  What kinda of rubs do you use?  How long do you smoke a whole chicken?

garbadee

Welcome aboard.  I can't help with chicken but try this site http://www.susanminor.org/.

DarqMan

I like splitting my chickens down the breast bone and then butterflying them and it takes about 4 hours on the Bradley at 225.  Just be sure to use a thermometer and getting the IT up to 165-170.
Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID, Traeger Texas BBQ075, Traeger Junior BBQ055, Bubba Keg with Stoker

New car, caviar, four star daydream, think I'll buy me a football team.

classicrockgriller

Hiya alliecat and welcome to the forum.

Two things on chicken in the Bradley:

Keep your vent wide open to let the moisture escape

Try to keep your cabinet temp in the 240 to 250 range to

keep the bad stuff out of your chicken.

DTAggie

Welcome alliecat.  Enjoy this place.  It is fuuuuunnnn.

KyNola

CRG just gave you the 2 best pieces of advice about poultry in the Bradley you can get.  Vent wide open and 240-250 degrees cooking temp.

Welcome to the forum!

KyNola

Habanero Smoker

You can use the beer can method in the smoker. It will be good but it will not be a replica of the grilled version - the texture of the skin will not be crisp. For beer can chicken I like to double up the racks to make it more steady, and use a beer can holder. I also stuff the neck cavity with a half a lemon. To improve the texture of the skin I like to remove it from the smoker 10 - 15 degrees before they are fully cooked, and finish them on a grill; or you can move it to the grill after the smoke has been applied. My finish internal meat temperature is 165°F measured in the thickest part of the thigh. So when I finish them on the grill I take them off at around 160°F.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Tenpoint5

Quote from: DarqMan on June 04, 2010, 06:01:40 PM
I like splitting my chickens down the breast bone and then butterflying them and it takes about 4 hours on the Bradley at 225.  Just be sure to use a thermometer and getting the IT up to 165-170.

DarqMan,
I suggest making it easier on yourself Butterflying/Spatchcocking your chickens. Instead of cutting through the breastbone remove it and the backbone. Here is an impromptu video I made on the whole process.

Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

BuyLowSellHigh

I gave up the cans and vertical roasters once I figured out the butterfly.  I'm lazier so I don't remove the keel bone - just turn it over and press firmly down on top of the breast (keel) bone until one side or the other cracks and it then lays flat. Grill it, smoke it, roast it, whatever, then carve it off the breast bone after cooking.  Been doing it this way for ~ 20 years and I prefer the results over the cans or roasters.
I like animals, they taste good!

Visit the Recipe site here

ArnieM

For me, spatchcocking works best in the Bradley.  I still use a vertical roaster in the oven when it's cold and snowy out.  I rarely do beer can anymore, just on the grill.  I don't believe it adds much and the beer is better off used elsewhere  ;D
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

FLBentRider

W E L C O M E  to the Forum alliecat61!
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

TestRocket

Welcome aboard alliecat61,

You'll find lots of new ideas as you look around.

VI_Smoker

Welcome to the fun!

EZ Smoker

Thanks, tenpoint5, that was a really useful video.
It may seem like I'm rubbing salt in the wound, but the truth is I'm trying to cure it.

deb415611

Welcome alliecat61!