Just a small note of caution on OBS with upgrade

Started by love the smoke, May 30, 2010, 08:14:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

love the smoke

I smoked 8 full racks of ribs the other weekend for a graduation party in my dual heating element upgraded OBS.

Just a word of caution for the people who have upgraded there OBS when you load that much cold meat into the smoker and the PID says giddy-up and turns on both elements wide open that is a lot of heat directed at the bottom set of ribs, I did not get to rotating the racks in time so the bottom rack of ribs the underside was pretty charred, so just remember to rotate your racks if you have a lot of cold meat to heat up  :)

Oh the rest turned out fantastic 3-2-1 method

LTS

classicrockgriller

Thanks for the heads-up on the giddy-up.

That is a good thought.

TestRocket

Good advice for me as I'm waiting on my second element any day now and have dropped the hint for the dual probe PID for Father's day (or BD, only two days apart). Thanks!

Habanero Smoker

Where was your probe located? I keep my probe between the meat and the direct heat source. That seems to prevent or minimize my bottom rack from over cooking to the extent it happened to you.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

love the smoke

Probe is located just below the third rack, maybe should move it down a rack

LTS
LTS

FLBentRider

If you think about the thermodynamics involved here, if you put (cold) food between the element and the PID probe, the PID is going to really overcook that food, since it is taking away heat from the food above.

I did not mount my PID probe for this reason.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

DTAggie

love the smoke

No foil heat shield just the standard v drip tray

LTS
LTS

Oldman

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

OU812