New Smoker

Started by Smokin Elvis, June 06, 2010, 06:28:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smokin Elvis

Hello,
Bought a new Bradley original and am doing my first brisket and ribs...together...might as well do it up right or go down in flames.  Unfortunately my mesquite pucks did not arrive so will have to use Oak Jim Beam.  Did my rub to the meat overnite.  Planning on getting the temp to 250 degrees and then smoking a 6 lb brisket for 6 hours.  Also, putting some baby back ribs on top rack with some foil below them to catch drippings....I'm thinking the ribs may go faster...maybe take them out at 4 hours, take out brisket at 6 hours....sound right?  Don't have a Maverick thermometer yet, but sounds like it would make this easier.  Any advice appreciated.

elvis

squirtthecat

Welcome!

With that load, it might take longer than you think.     That brisket will take around 1.5 hours/lb to cook.  Maybe longer.  You should use a meat thermometer to check it...   I take mine into the mid 190s.

You'll have to go by look & feel on the ribs.    We have some rib experts here that should be along shortly..

TestRocket

I agree... My first rib smoke was three racks and I never was able to get the temp much above 210 and I went for 7 hours. Give yourself a little more time and FTC (foil, towel, cooler) if need be. Good luck!

DarqMan

Yeah, you might be surprised how long it will all take.  Usually my baby back ribs take 5-6 hours before they start pulling back from the bone and become flexible without breaking.  Another good test for ribs is when a toothpick can easily be inserted between the meat and bone.  I wouldn't put anything below the ribs to catch the drippins.  I'd let the drippins fall on the brisket, kind of like "auto-baste" mode ;D

Let us know how it all turns out!

Welcome to the forum.
Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID, Traeger Texas BBQ075, Traeger Junior BBQ055, Bubba Keg with Stoker

New car, caviar, four star daydream, think I'll buy me a football team.

classicrockgriller

Welcome to the Forum Elvis.

I agree with everyone else.

I think you are looking at 10 to 12 hrs on the brisket.

Hope I'm wrong

FLBentRider

W E L C O M E  to the Forum Smokin Elvis!

My friends have you on track for the brisket.

Rib doneness is a very subjective thing. I like them when the ribs start to show some bone and the rack has some "flex" to it.

It might take you a smoke or three to get them dialed in, but it's all good!
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Smokin Elvis

Thanks for all your help guys. 

Brisket and ribs turned out great (but a little dry for my taste).  Smoked it for 7 hours, hottest I could get out of it was 210.  Used a $30 wireless thermometer from Lowes (wonder how long that lasts) but didn't trust it when it beeped at 195 internal temp at about 6 hours (I was cooking alot of meat) and cooked another hour...so turned out a little dry but still great...I am now thinking that about 1 hour per lb turned out to be right for my smoker.  But I'll stick to using a thermometer and trusting it next time, go for 190 internal temp on the brisket this weekend.  Got my mesquite in too so should be good.  Will post pics.

thanks again.

elvis

DTAggie

Yes, I always knew Elvis is still alive.

Trust the wireless probe, they are pretty accurate.  My brisket and butts always hit IT* quicker than a lot of people on here.

Pics?