1st smoke success, thanks to all of you

Started by jmac0501, June 06, 2010, 06:33:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jmac0501

Got the OBS last weekend.  Wife wanted ribs first.  I couldn't do just ribs, had to put something else in.
We get a 1/4 beef and 1/2 hog buthered off of the farm every year, so I dug through the freezer and found a 4lb Sirloin Tip beef roast.
Ribs got rubbed down with some rub that's been in the spice cabinet for at least a year, not getting used.
Into the fridge for the night.
Beef roast got Fresh ground pepper and some garlic salt for a rub and into the fridge for the night.
Saturday was raining when we got up and wasn't sure it was all going to come together.
About 10:00 it cleared off, I got the smoker seasoned for an hour and when done, just got it loaded up, cranked up the temp and kept on smoking.
Maverick ET73 came in the mail about an hour after starting so I had to break into the cabinet to get that in the beef roast.
3 hrs of apple.
pulled the ribs and foiled them with some apple juice
Beef roast was at 150(should have rotated it up)
so I pulled it and FTC'd for 1.5hrs.
Thought I wasn't going to get any of that put away, Very good hot, but even better cold ;D
Ribs were in foil for 2 then sauced  with some sweet baby Ray's and back in for an hour.  Had to stick the OBS in the garage because it was looking like rain again.  Glad I did.  Cut loose and poured 10 mins after I moved it.
Pulled the ribs after an hour and cut them up.
My wife was full but didn't want to quit eating b/c she was afraid I'd eat her leftovers.... Had to promise to stay out of them.
Best ribs we've ever had, hands down.
I know, I know, no pictures, never happened.  I thought about taking a pic of the pile of bones when we were done.
Went to Costco today and they had spare ribs sign said $1.99 but package was priced at 2.29.  Pointed it out and they said they'd give me one package for 1.99.  They had forgotten to pull the sign.  Fathers day will be ribs again.   I called the Folks and invited them for the weekend.
Next weekend, I'm going to give Jerky a try.  I've got a whole Deer loin that I've been saving for this.
Thank you to all of you who frequent this forum and put up such great advice  That is certainly what made it successful for me.  That and the ease fo the OBS.

Up In Smoke

Jmac,
welcome and congrats on a successful 1st run.
May there be many, many more to come!

We will however need a signed affidavit (spelling?)
from the wife on the ribs since there were no pics.  :D
2 Bradley OBS
Some people are like Slinkies... They're really good for nothing.
...But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

classicrockgriller

Sounds like you guys had a great meal.

Making good ribs on the first rty is hard to do.

You should pat yourself on the back!

Congrats.

KevinG

Congrats on a good smoke! We are still waiting on pics though.  ::)
Rodney Dangerfield got his material from watching me.
Learn to hunt deer www.lulu.com/mediabyKevinG

Oldman

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

OU812

Good to here your maiden voyage with the Bradley went well.

I love it when a plan comes together.

DTAggie

Welcome jmac.  The wife will get used to you taking pics in due time.

KyNola

Caneyscud

Congratulations jmac!  Beef roast and ribs for the first smoke - way to go!  The wife being happy is a great thing - make you puff out the chest a little more!   May your long road of smoking nirvana be lined with succulent pork, buttery brisket and lip-smacking ribs!
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"