Thermapen or substitute

Started by GusRobin, June 07, 2010, 08:57:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GusRobin

The next toy necessary tool to add to the fun alleviate the extensive burden of providing smoked food for family and friends is an instant thermometer. I see Thermapen used by many. The lowest price I have seen is about $96. Before I hit the button and buy it, wanted to pulse the members to see if anyone has any other recommendations.
Thanks
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

classicrockgriller

Gus, there is a thread floating around where he e-mailed thermapen and got one "out of the box"

for like $70.

I'll see if I can hunt it down.

Smokin Soon

I have had mine for a couple of years now, and would not be without it. I use it on every cook, inside or out.

OU812

Quote from: Smokin Soon on June 07, 2010, 12:15:30 PM
I have had mine for a couple of years now, and would not be without it. I use it on every cook, inside or out.

Me too.  ;D

deb415611

Quote from: OU812 on June 07, 2010, 01:02:43 PM
Quote from: Smokin Soon on June 07, 2010, 12:15:30 PM

Me too.  ;D

Me three

GusRobin

"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

classicrockgriller

The new ones are waterproof!

And that is very kewl!

TestRocket

Caneyscud

me five and six - I have two.  Don't use remotes much anymore!   However, even if I love my thermapens, not sure I'd go $96 unless someone was buying it as a gift for me!   ;D

CDN makes the Q2-450 which ain't bad,  Waterproof, but not quite as fast as a thermapen.  And doesn't look as sturdy with the probe sticking out all the time rather than folding.  But a third of the price of a thermapen or less. 
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

classicrockgriller

I have one that looks like that made by Taylor that is not that great!

squirtthecat

I have a 'gently used' Thermapen that is worth every penny.

I'll use a Maverick remote just to get a general idea of what is going on in the pit (without opening the lid), but I do my final checks with the Thermapen.

OU812

I use mine when cookin on the grill, perfect every time.

Brats, steaks, chicken, its all good.

Caneyscud

I've heard that there is a knock off of the Thermapen - folding and everything.   But nothing like the speed.  Instead of 1-3 seconds say 30 -60 seconds
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

classicrockgriller

OU812

That sure is purdy, but how fast is it?

Thats what sold me on the Thermapen, SPEED.