Smoked Chicken Livers.....MMMMMmmmmm

Started by spinfreak, June 07, 2010, 02:38:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

spinfreak

For Memorial Day I figured I'd fire up (plug-in) the Bradley and make some ribs. While I was in the meat dept, I figured I'd see what I can get for the doggies, and settled on chicken livers, hearts, and gizzards. I just had to sample the doggie treats myself, and the hearts and gizzards were damn good, but let me tell you, those livers were hands down the best chicken livers I've ever eaten! Damn, why didn't I ever think of smoking them before. Fried chicken livers were always a favorite of mine, but smoked blows them away.

I just sprinkled a little of my rub on them and put them on the small mesh rack, and threw them in the smoker. Had cherry pucks burning for the ribs, and the flavor was awesome. The texture was great too....really smooth and "creamy", almost like a pate, but in solid form. Mmmmmmmm. Will be sure to pick up some livers for now on whenever I'm turning the smoker on.  :)

westexasmoker

Oh yeah smoked chicken livers are the bomb!

C
Its amazing what one can accomplish when one doesn't know what one can't do!

classicrockgriller

May have to do this for Wifie, she loves them things.

Me? YUCK!

BuyLowSellHigh

Quote from: classicrockgriller on June 07, 2010, 05:14:50 PM

Me? YUCK!

Maybe you can "negotiate" --  paper rolls off the back in exchange for smoked chicken livers?   ;D
I like animals, they taste good!

Visit the Recipe site here

TestRocket

Oh heck yea! Chicken liver, hearts and gizzards while I smoking something that's going to take a long time and Miss Jan doesn't even have to see, smell or even know they've been in the house. That's like smoke candy! YUM thanks for the idea.

KyNola

How much smoke? What temp and how long please.

OU812

The hearts and exceptionally the gizzards would be the bomb but I'd have to pass on the liver.

Great Granny use to make us kids eat the stuff, now if I smell it cookin my tummy turns and trys to come out.

Had a big ole pile of fried gizzards for lunch yesterday, mmm health food.  ;D

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: classicrockgriller on June 07, 2010, 05:14:50 PM

Me? YUCK!

Ditto

Growing up on a small farm in Calif i got to hate chicken. Only thing i like nowadays is the breast meat.

Now my wife will eat all the chicken  :P

Ketch22

YES I did them and they were real good.

Caneyscud

Livers - I'll pass

But put some gizzards and hearts in some foil with some BBQ sauce and cook until done - those are pretty good.  Usually leave the foil open for awhile to get the smoke flavor in, then add the sauce and close. 
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

spinfreak

Quote from: KyNola on June 08, 2010, 07:14:30 AM
How much smoke? What temp and how long please.

I had the smoker set at 250* for the ribs, and I had the livers in for a good 4-5 hours, but they should be done probably around the 2 hour mark. I was trying to get the livers, hearts, and gizzards drier for the dogs, but they were still very moist. As for smoke, I'm of the mindset that you can never have too much smoke, and i think that food does pickup addittional smokafter so the first few hours, so I tend to provide smoke for my entire "cooking" cycle.

KyNola

BuyLowSellHigh

I'll trade all the gizzards and hearts (yuck .. phewey ...) for livers (  yum!).

Gave me a great idea -- smoked chicken liver pate!
I like animals, they taste good!

Visit the Recipe site here

seemore

WTS ...didnt you do do chicken liver in bacan..
I tried it OMG................................................ ;D
seemore

westexasmoker

Quote from: seemore on June 09, 2010, 09:04:24 PM
WTS ...didnt you do do chicken liver in bacan..
I tried it OMG................................................ ;D
seemore

Thats right almost forgot about that......  ::)

http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=11568.0

C
Its amazing what one can accomplish when one doesn't know what one can't do!