Cold smoking steak

Started by StickyDan, June 08, 2010, 12:47:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

StickyDan

I've seen a few post on here about cold smoking steaks before grilling them.  I've done it a few times and the results are always great.   In fact, did some ribeye last night.  I can't remember how long I smoked the first few batches but last night I stuck with 1 puck of mesquite.  It was great.   I've read about some different ideas and methods regarding cold smoking steak.   I guess I have a few questions.
What method do you use? wood? time? temp?  frozen steak or thawed?  Grill right away or put in fridge over night?
The other big important question is - Is there any risk in cold smoking steak?  IE temperatures, bacteria, mad cow disease, flatulence, pms, etc etc etc - You know what I'm saying. :D
Cheers

Habanero Smoker

If the meat has been properly handled prior to smoking, you can safely cold smoke uncured beef, lamb and pork up to one hour, if you are going to refrigerate it over night to cook later. If you are going to put it on the grill immediately after smoking you could go up to two hours. Applying smoke to frozen food may be ineffective. First condensation may prevent the smoke from adhering to the meat, and secondly the frozen tissue may prevent the chemicals in the smoke for interacting with the proteins and prevent any penetration.

As for myself I set up the smoker for cold smoking, then move the meat directly from the refrigerator to the smoker. I try to keep the smoker below 70°F (68° is considered room temperature), and I apply 40 minutes on steak and chops, and 1:40 hours on roasts. For steaks and chops I refrigerate overnight, but for roast I generally will move them directly to the grill or oven. I use oak and/or hickory for beef and lamb; and pecan and/or apple for pork.

There is always a risk when handling any food. But if the meat was properly handled and stored there should be minimal risks for the short period of time it is in the "danger zone". The times in the smoker are about the same times I would leave meat on the counter prior to cooking. Also smoke has some antimicrobial properties.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Tommy3Putts

Huge fan of applying cold smoke to steaks.  I am partial to ribeyes.  I use some of my rub, apply an hour to hour and twenty minutes and then go directly to the grill.  They are always awesome.  I previously have not put them in the refrigerator overnight because I was doing my cold smoke without an adapter in the main chamber (turned the main heating element off).  I haven't been able to keep the IT low enough to feel comfortable refrigerating them overnight.  Well that's changed.  I invested in the Bradley CS adapter and can't wait to try it.  I presume I'll now try Hab's overnight method.

Habanero Smoker

I can't take credit for that method. I picked that up from a member some time back. I believe it was West Coast Kansan.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)