I'm Smokin' Beef Ribs Tomorrow!

Started by Caribou, June 08, 2010, 07:27:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caribou

I have a bunch of these type of beef ribs in my freezer.
These are going in the OBS tomorrow and I'm going to try Old's recipe from the Recipe Site
http://www.susanminor.org/forums/showthread.php?269-Smoked-Long-Short-Ribs
The processor labels them has "Short Ribs" but they look awfully long to me.
But they are loaded with meat. :)

Carolyn

Caneyscud

Carolyn, can't wait to see the results.  I've braised them a few times and I've grilled those things a time or two, but never low-n-slow.  A couple of years ago, I got second place in a contest to a plate of smoked short ribs.  And I've been wanting to cook some in the smoker ever since. 
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

classicrockgriller

I've tried a cple of times doing them beef ribs and haven't had

any luck, so I will be watching and learning.

OU812

Those babys look good and meaty, cant wait to see and learn how you get along with them ribs Carolyn

I aint never done beef ribs in the smoker.

I look forward to your cook.

Caribou

Thanks guys  :)
Looking at the recipe they are cooked in a foil boat wrap (w/apple juice) after they are initially smoked so I'm hoping they will stay moist.
It seems funny doing these during the week but we seem so busy on the weekends lately.
I've only slow cooked these in a crock pot before but I want try them in the smoker.
I'll post pics of how they turn out tomorrow.
Carolyn

westexasmoker

Carolyn, you won't be disappointed!  I only smoke beef ribs, not real fond of pork ribs, the smoke/cook is about the same keeping an eye for it to start pulling back from the bone.  When a toothpick will slide in nice and easy your there!  Good luck can't wait to see the results!

C
Its amazing what one can accomplish when one doesn't know what one can't do!

FLBentRider

I've only done them once, they didn't turn out as I had hoped.

Edible, but fatty. It's hard to get good beef ribs around here without buying the rib roast to go with it, and then I just do the whole thing as one unit.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

BuyLowSellHigh

Those look like very nice short ribs!

I've only done short ribs as a slow braise - lots of veggies (mirepoix, tomatoes) and red wine.  Smoked would be very interesting.  Think I'd be inclined to use beef stock and red wine as the liquid over apple juice, bet then that's me.
I like animals, they taste good!

Visit the Recipe site here

Caribou

Quote from: FLBentRider on June 08, 2010, 10:39:31 AM
I've only done them once, they didn't turn out as I had hoped.

Edible, but fatty. It's hard to get good beef ribs around here without buying the rib roast to go with it, and then I just do the whole thing as one unit.
I'll keep my fingers crossed.
I've only done the stew/crockpot route with these before and I wanted to try something new. :)
These came off a really nice Angus steer.  I think they are from the prime rib region of the animal, they definitely do not look like the beef rib racks I saw at the store.
I'll have to look at Caney's diagram  ;)
Carolyn

deb415611

GusRobin

Carolyn,
I have done short ribs a number of times on the OBS. I apply a rub, and put them in at about 210-220*. I use about 2 1/2 hours of smoke and they are usually done anywhere between 2 1/2 to 3 hours. I don't boat them but spritz (either apple juice or beer depending on how much beer I have left at the time) about every 1/2 hour after 2 hours. So once or twice. They come out with a little bark (not much but a little) and are very juicy. Haven't had a bad batch yet. With an hour to go I throw in corn on the cob  and asparagus. I cook the corn with the husk on ( silk removed), the asparagus has a coating of EVOO and some seasoning
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

Gizmo

Beef Ribs with some meat on them.  Yummmmmmm
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

Caribou

Thanks guys  :)
I'll post some pics and let you know how they turned out.
Carolyn

squirtthecat

Store down the street has beef short ribs on sale this week..     Hmmm.

ExpatCanadian

Can't wait to see the pics.  I've got some vac sealed in my freezer just waiting for an opportunity.  Perhaps this weekend.  Anyone have a good BBQ sauce to go with these?  I have this memory from about 10 years back going to a place near Edmonton, AB (I think it might have actually been Leduc) and they had all you could eat beef ribs (which is pretty clever when you think about it...  I mean how many can you actually eat!!  :D).  The ribs were really good...  but it was the sauce that I just couldn't get enough of, you'd literally want to suck it off the bones....