I'm Smokin' Beef Ribs Tomorrow!

Started by Caribou, June 08, 2010, 07:27:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BuyLowSellHigh

Looks delish !  I love what you did to those short ribs - need to put this on my list.
I like animals, they taste good!

Visit the Recipe site here

Caneyscud

"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

mrjig

I am finding this a bit hard to follow:
Short ribs and beef back ribs are different as are the best cooking methods.
dick.

BuyLowSellHigh

Quote from: mrjig on June 10, 2010, 03:49:02 PM
dick.

You're right about the difference.  Caribou noted early that these were labeled as short ribs, and that's what they look like to me. You are also correct about the traditional methods of cooking preferred for the two different cuts,  for example see here.  But as far as cooking, part of the fun you will discover through these Forums is trying new things, testing out ideas, not being constrained or intimidated by the traditional methods and rules.  One of the things you may discover is that when smoke becomes one of the ingredients, there are not too many well established rules.  The one guiding principle is, when it doubt, try it out

Have fun ! 
I like animals, they taste good!

Visit the Recipe site here

Caribou

Quote from: mrjig on June 10, 2010, 03:49:02 PM
dick.
Welcome to the forum Dick :)
These were short ribs this time.
BLSH is right...experiment.  :)
Carolyn

mrjig

Caribou.
I love your Caribou crossing avatar!
I have a high ranking Boone and Crockett caribou
looking at me from my wall as i type. :)

I have been a rough and ready outdoor cook/guide from Newfoundland to Alaska for 50 years.
That does not mean i'm good but experienced i am!

Most of what i have done has been an improvisation so i'm not reluctant to experiment!!

As i moved from wilderness cooking to a suburban backyard i came quickly to adopt a hoary maxim.
"Because one CAN  do something , does not mean one SHOULD do it"
BLSH expressed an idea well, the only rule is : There are no rules.

On the other hand i continue to see picnic shoulders referred to as hams and loins referred to as tenderloins and short ribs used as synonymous with back ribs.
Using an inappropriate cooking approach because of casual identification of cuts makes for many disappointments.

It was not my intention to be picky but in my experience backs or shorts are not readily interchangeable.

Clearly there is much good information and community of interest here and i look forward to looking in from time to time.

Best, dick

Smokin Soon

Just chased these big suckers down at the Asian market, trying to decide whether to foil or not. Carolyn's looked wonderfull. Any input? WTS? Any others do them on a pellet pooper?
These guys are over 10 inches long, I should have had them cut.

Smokin Soon

Got these Bones dusted with some Garlic mush made with Sea Salt, Head Country Rub and some Garlic infused Olive Oil. Into the the fridge for rest.

Caribou

Those look great SS!
I thought the ones that I smoked were long and they were only 6"  :D
I bet they turn out tasty,
Carolyn

Caneyscud

Ohh......ohhhh.....ooooohhhhh.....Can I come over SS!  I'll behave!
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

Smokin Soon

Cmon over Caney, We might have to do dome wings and ABT'S cause these bones will take a while!.... ;D :D

Smokin Soon

RAF128

Long before I even thought of a Bradley, likely before there even was a Bradley, my wife used to make short ribs in the oven.    They were roasted at low temp and were in there all day.   I guess that would be low and slow.   Not sure what the sauce was but it was fabulous.    The meat was falling off the bones and the meat was really tender.   Today she would likely use the slow cooker to get the same results.   Don't know what the IT would have been but think it would have been up there like brisket or pulled pork.

SnellySmokesEm

The Ribs look great!  Finally a good post of beef ribbies with pics.  I gotta try this!!!
Is it bad if my wife refers to the smoker as "The Mistress"?
MasterBuilt Electric Smokehouse
Charbroil Red 4 Burner With Auto Clean
Big Easy Smoker Roaster Grill
BBQ Evangelist

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: Caribou on June 14, 2010, 09:24:47 PM
Those look great SS!
I thought the ones that I smoked were long and they were only 6"  :D
I bet they turn out tasty,
Carolyn

Ditto

Beef ribbys look great