Smoked Mustard???

Started by StickyDan, June 09, 2010, 11:36:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

StickyDan

Anyone try this???  Any thoughts?
I've done smoke ketchup and it's actually really good - I don't even like ketchup but the wife can't get enough of it.
So I figure mustard, what the hell.  I think I'm gonna give it a shot. 

EZ Smoker

I never even thought about that.  I can't wait to hear about it.
It may seem like I'm rubbing salt in the wound, but the truth is I'm trying to cure it.

StickyDan

I hope to have some results today or tomorrow.

drewpatton

Hmmm....do you think prepared mustard smoked would be better than say smoking mustard powder, mustard seeds and making your own homemade stuff? AB has a good recipe...

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/best-mustard-ever-recipe/index.html

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: drewpatton on June 09, 2010, 12:57:36 PM
Hmmm....do you think prepared mustard smoked would be better than say smoking mustard powder, mustard seeds and making your own homemade stuff? AB has a good recipe...

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/best-mustard-ever-recipe/index.html

That is a good idea!

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

StickyDan

Forgot to put the mustard in but now I'm wondering which wood would be the best to compliment the taste of mustard.  Any thoughts?

OU812

My first time out I would go for a lighter smoke.

Apple maybe.

Habanero Smoker

I'm thinking pecan or hickory; or possibly oak. That would go pretty good with the pungent flavor of mustard.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

OU812

I was goin to say Pecan but thought on the lighter side.

I really like the flavor of mustard.

Its all good.

drewpatton

go balls out! hickory or oak!

StickyDan

Ok, so I decided to throw some Frenchs mustard while I finish off my brisket.  I got a bit of a s**t mix of wood going on right now.  Oak, cherry and some special blend.  Just gave it a stir and the top layer definitly took on some color.  Hope it's good.

StickyDan

Took the mustard out of the BDS and stuffed it back into the bottle.  Funny,  I started with a full bottle and now I have just over half.  Guess mustard evaporates quite a bit.  I gave it a taste and it does have some smokey flavor.  The real test will be after it sits for a few days.