I gots me uh bubba keg!

Started by DarqMan, June 09, 2010, 05:13:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DarqMan

After three evenings on the phone, I finally found a store that had two left in the box and one display model.  i scored one of the boxed units and CRG scored the other.  I had to pay $57 shipping and tax bringing my total to $384, but all things considered, that is still a killer deal!

A search on the Home Depot website for "bubba keg" no longer finds the grill, only the cover.  Unfortunately that means the online store is removing it from their inventory.  I know this because I talked extensively to an online rep. 

I thought I'd share what I learned over the past three evenings in case anyone wants one bad enough like me to spend the time on the phone hunting one down at this incredibly low price.

First, the skew# (695-785) is no longer valid and their computers won't find the product using that.  After calling almost every store in Oklahoma, I finally discovered their system WILL find the product using the UPC (607869055013).  So here's the steps.

Find a large city nearby if you don't live in one. Do a search for all stores within 100 miles of that city on their website.  Start calling starting at the top of the list.

When the automated system answers (I found all Home Depots have the same phone menu) press 3 to speak to an associate in specific department.  Press 8 for more options and then press 2 for lawn and garden. 

When the associate answers, tell them you'd like them to look up a product via UPC and give them the number.  If they tell you that's too many number let them know it's a UPC and not a Skew number.  If the associate is still unable to find it, they are clueless.  Hang up and go to the next store and repeat the steps.

Eventually, you will find an associate who is willing to help.  Once they find the product, ask them to search all stores in their district.  If they tell you nobody has any, hang up and go to the next store.  I found that when they found the product via UPC, they'd take the Skew number and search the district which comes up empty because the Skew number is no longer valid.... duh.

I had to call all the stores in Oklahoma and 4 stores in the Dallas area until someone told me which store had some left.  I'd be willing to be there are still some out there in other parts of the country if you want to take the time like I did. 

I know, call me crazy.... but I love my cookers.... can you tell?  ;D

Pics wil follow when it arrives.
Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID, Traeger Texas BBQ075, Traeger Junior BBQ055, Bubba Keg with Stoker

New car, caviar, four star daydream, think I'll buy me a football team.

ronbeaux

You got lucky! They are almost all gone and have been brought back as the 'Big Steel Keg.' Ace should have them but the price went way up.
The fight isn't over until the winner says it is.

classicrockgriller

Congrats on The Bubba Keg.

I sure like mine.

DarqMan

Quote from: ronbeaux on June 09, 2010, 05:28:21 PM
You got lucky! They are almost all gone and have been brought back as the 'Big Steel Keg.' Ace should have them but the price went way up.

Hey Ron, thanks... I was lucky!

I was hoping you'd give me some tips on using it?
Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID, Traeger Texas BBQ075, Traeger Junior BBQ055, Bubba Keg with Stoker

TTNuge

BAH!  Nice score.... both of you!

DarqMan

Thanks Trent. This is a new type of cooker for me.  I need Sonny and Ron to school me. ;D

classicrockgriller

Don't look at me, I'm winging it!

DarqMan

Quote from: classicrockgriller on June 09, 2010, 07:24:55 PM
Don't look at me, I'm winging it!

Oh sir... I've seen the pics... you can't fool me...  :o

classicrockgriller

I open the vents up when I took the chicken off and in 7 minutes it was 750*.

Yowser!

Should have thrown some steaks on!

DarqMan

Quote from: classicrockgriller on June 09, 2010, 07:47:12 PM
I open the vents up when I took the chicken off and in 7 minutes it was 750*.

Yowser!

Should have thrown some steaks on!

Or a pulled pork pizza?  Absolutely!

oakville smoker

I am looking at about 800 bucks plus taxes here in the great white north
Not bad I  guess when compared to the Green Egg plus all the other stuff like stands etc are included
I am really wondering about performance over a long cook like a brisket or butt
Will they hold that magical 210 temp for hours on end

Now my mind is scheming.  A guy that works for me is heading to Michigan for the NASCAR race this weekend
He even hinted he could bring something back for me....  Maybe a Bubba

I must admit their web site is pretty slick.  They have the marketing down really good.  It almost has a Mini Cooper
web site / community kind of feel.  Not the one that sells the cars but the one where owners  interact
All I wanted to do was slow smoke some ribs.  Another addiction created thanks to the Bradley that requires regular servicing...  But what an addiction to have.  Even better to share here with some of the best people on the planet.

Would you like smoke with that sir ?

OU812

Congrats on findin a bubba keg DarqMan, way to stick with it.

I've herd many good things bout them.

DarqMan

Quote from: oakville smoker on June 10, 2010, 04:34:34 AM
I am really wondering about performance over a long cook like a brisket or butt
Will they hold that magical 210 temp for hours on end

I mainly am wanting it for tasks the Bradley and Traeger don't handle as well, like searing steaks. I doubt I'll be doing any long smokes like a butt or brisket.

I agree the green egg is grossly overpriced when you consider they don't include anything but the cooker. 

DarqMan

Quote from: OU812 on June 10, 2010, 03:15:42 PM
Congrats on findin a bubba keg DarqMan, way to stick with it.

I've herd many good things bout them.

Thanks OU... looking forward to it.

ronbeaux

OK, Keg tips and tricks 101;

1. Throw directions away
2. Put about 2lbs of lump charcoal in there and then coat the entire inside with vegetable oil, including the top vent both inside and out.
3. don't forget to coat the cast iron grate!
4. Get you a sheet of newspaper and spray Pam on it, wad it up and shove it down into the lump and light it.
5. replace the cast iron grate and open the bottom and top vents about 3/8"
6. Let the Keg get to 400 to 450 degrees and then back off the vents about 1/2 way from original
7. Let it cook until it runs out of fuel. You are now seasoned.

To cook always start closing the vents 50 degrees before you get where you want. And I mean close them almost all the way! It will hold whatever temp it was at and may even still climb a little for awhile. It is very hard to bring down once you go past it.
Check around the bottom vent. Some of them showed up with only a partial caulking. I had to finish the job to stop the leaks and it allowed me to maintain a lower temp. The Large BGE platsetter fits in it for an indirect barrier or you can go to the Dollar store and buy one of those $8.00 mini charcoal grills with the legs like this:

Just wad up some foil and then stretch it back out and lay it in there, then repeat about 4 times. This helps reduce the chance of burning the dripping grease and giving a burnt taste to your cook.
The fight isn't over until the winner says it is.