Parteee Time

Started by Oldman, March 13, 2004, 04:39:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oldman

In just 3 more days I get my BS! The first thing I'm going to do is to test it against my ole wood burning smoker. I will wrap a 15 pound ham, (not fresh) cold smoke it for a few hours. Then turn up the temp to 180 degrees and with a temp probe continue to smoke it until it reaches 150 degrees in the center. (The meat will be room temp before I start.)

If all goes like I think it will then you all come over to the house next week end as it will be Parteee time. We will make sandwiches using home made bread, home grown (organic) tomatoes, and some true Half-Sour pickels. (Who is bring the suds?) We also will have some of the best Boston baked beans you ever had melt in your mouth. Then some raw apple cake covered with home make Caramel Sauce!

Let's Parteee!
Olds

Edit: to correct cooked temp.

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

trout

With that kind of spread, some of Martha Stewarts old catering customers are likely to start looking you up instead.  Sounds like some great eats.[:D] By "not fresh"  does that mean that it is a cooked cured ham and you are just kicking up the smoke flavor.[?]

Let your trout go and smoke a salmon instead.

Oldman

<b><i>By "not fresh" does that mean that it is a cooked cured ham and you are just kicking up the smoke flavor.[?]</b></i>

Yes and no. It is not cured like a county style ham.

I have done many a fresh ham, but I found that if I  get a high quality low salt ham wonders can be done with it. I have found that a Hamilton ham to be my choice of store bought hams to work with.  

The real trick to this whole deal is: Cold smoked the ham.  Next hot smoked it to a temp. of 150 F (sorry me bad I posted 165 F degrees earlier.) Max. smoking / cooking Temp. is 180 degree F. Once ham is smoke / cooked place it into a roasting pan and put it into the frig. for several days before you eat. Leave wrap on it (I use 2X layers of cheese cloth. If you cannot get cheese cloth then try extra wide bandage gauze.) The extra flavor will now go to the bone!

It will be interesting to see how the BS compairs.

As I said in the past we have started with a fresh ham. That took much-o work and time. However, if you want to do one I will look around for that reciepe. But frankly unless you wanted to make your own country style or a true Virginia ham I cannot see a reason for going through that hassle.

I have found this much safer, easier, and the eating in end result is just too close to go through the hassle of a fresh to eatable ham. Wait until you fry up a piece of this with your eggs. You will think you died and gone to heaven.
Olds

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

snapper39

Olds  sounds good, I'll bring some good Canadian suds. I like mine with an extra hot, course ground mustard, Yum.
Snapper

ChefJeff

Olds,     I will bring a jug of margaritas & lots of limes.[8D][:D]

SMOKIN & SPOKEN

ChefJeff

Trout,  I smoked a salmon instead.(wild Pacific) It Was unreal![:p]This can't be related to the farm raised Atlantic variety.I can just imagine how FRESH Alaskan salmon would taste.(HINT&lt;HINT)Are you out there Kummock?[^][:D]

SMOKIN & SPOKEN

Fuzzybear

I think Kummok might be out fishing for that salmon for us![:p]

"A mans got to know his limitations"
Glendora, CA - USA!

Kummok

Been away, just got back and checkin the forum....[:D]  Kings are coming back already....spotty most of the winter, but still there. Now, there's mo betta catch reports coming in and just in time. My gaping chainsaw-in-the-chest scar has healed to the point that I don't have to hold my chest to cough/sneeze SOOOO, I'm guessing I can go out now and wrestle with the 20-30 pound Kings next week.  Still snow and ice on the ground, but the small boat harbor is clear of ice...time to thaw the ice that still has a death grip on my boat trailer tires[:D][:D]

Come on up and help catch/smoke/eat salmon![:p][8D]

Kummok @ Homer, AK USA

ChefJeff

Kummok, Weeeelcome back.[:)]Glad you are healing & getting ready to catch some Kings.Come to the Partee!Bring some salmon.[^]

SMOKIN & SPOKEN

Kummok

CJ
Come on up and help catch some smokin' stock!! See "http://www.adn.com/outdoors/story/4873852p-4809810c.html"  [:p][:D][8D]

Kummok @ Homer, AK USA

ChefJeff

Kummok,What can I say?[:(][:(][:(][?]Looks like a slice of Heaven.

SMOKIN & SPOKEN

Chez Bubba

Seems to be a name missing on that list at the end.[;)]

http://www.chezbubba.com
Ya think next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non?" they would mind?
http://www.brianswish.com
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?

Kummok

If you're meaning "Kummok" added to the list of charter operators, it ain't gonna happen [:D]  When you charter, you HAVE to catch fish for your clients...whereas, when you just go out fishing with friends, you HAVE to be "jes fishin". Makes a BIG difference in the fun factor. Charter takes days AWAY from your life while jes fishin ADDS days to your life!  Charter means you fish WHATEVER the weather...jes fishin means you fish when you feel like it . Charter means you have to pay extra to rush a boat repair...jes fishin means if your boat is broke, you leave it for repairs "whenever", and go out with whoever's boat ain't broke!

Charter EVIL [}:)] Jes Fishin GOOD [:D]

Kummok @ Homer, AK USA

Chez Bubba

[:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][8D]

http://www.chezbubba.com
Ya think next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non?" they would mind?
http://www.brianswish.com
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?

Fuzzybear

Kummok....wish I was living up there man...I'd be out fishing with ya and helping with boat repairs!!!

"A mans got to know his limitations"
Glendora, CA - USA!