Thoughts on smoking techniques.

Started by smokinbob, July 08, 2010, 01:10:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

smokinbob

Hello everyone,

I'm new to the site and I was going to smoke a 5lb boston butt and wanted to know what the ideal temp was and how many hickory bisques to use and how long to smoke it. I'm new to smoking and i have heard different things but i think with the Bradley times might be different.

Thanks.

FLBentRider

W E L C O M E  to the Forum smokinbob!

Most smoke them @205-225F until an IT of 190-200F.

Having said that, there are as many variations as there are users on this site.

A general guideline for smoke would be 4 hours for a butt, "butt" again, some to 6 to 8 and others do 2.

For a five pound butt in the Bradley could take anywhere from 10 to 16 hours, depending on any number of factors, including a tough pig.

I apply a rub, then warp in plastic (not foil) and rest ~24 hours in the fridge.

I pull the meat out of the fridge while the smoker and smoke generator is heating up.

After the target IT is reached, I usually FTC (Wrap in Foil, then a Towel, then into a warm cooler) for at least an hour before pulling.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Tenpoint5

FLB basically covered it. Just make sure your vent is open at least half way.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

classicrockgriller

FLBR has you fixed up, So all I can say is Welcome to the Forum.

You might want to check out our FAQ's
http://www.susanminor.org/forums/showthread.php?p=748#post748

recipe site:
http://www.susanminor.org/forums/

Try this link to get your pictures going.
http://www.susanminor.org/forums/showpost.php?p=768&postcount=11

DarqMan

One thing to remember is that I've kept butts in FTC for up to 6 hours (double foil and double towels) and them still be warm when served.  With that said, it's wise to start earlier to make sure you have enough time if the internal temperature does stall.  If it's a fast cook, it will stay warm in FTC until ready to serve for many hours.
Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID, Traeger Texas BBQ075, Traeger Junior BBQ055, Bubba Keg with Stoker

New car, caviar, four star daydream, think I'll buy me a football team.

DTAggie

FLB has you going.  I prefer 6 hours of smoke.  Cook in the 210-230* range.  FTC like DarqMan said can be done 4 to 6 hours and still be pipping hot when you open it up.

Uncle Pigfat

Quote from: DarqMan on July 08, 2010, 06:50:58 PM
One thing to remember is that I've kept butts in FTC for up to 6 hours (double foil and double towels) and them still be warm when served.  With that said, it's wise to start earlier to make sure you have enough time if the internal temperature does stall.  If it's a fast cook, it will stay warm in FTC until ready to serve for many hours.

I just did one this weekend and FTCed for 7 hours. IT was still 125 when it came out.  I just popped it into the oven @ 350 for a bit until it was up to 140 and pulled the hell out of it.  It was amazing.

DTAggie

Uncle, I have to know.  Is that you in the green suit?

Uncle Pigfat

No, it's from It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia.  Although it would be a lot cooler if it was.

smokinbob

Thanks for the warm welcome. And the great suggestions. I give it a go and try to get the pics so posted.