Feeding a large group

Started by Redneckinthecity, June 10, 2010, 06:02:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KyNola

Nice going.  My hat is off to you sir.  What an undertaking.  Way to pull it off.

Caneyscud

Congrats Redneckinthecity!  That is one good looking "pot of goodness"!!

Job well done!!  Hope everybody enjoyed it, I would have.  The butts looked like da bomb!  I'd take a pound of that on a bun. 

250 is a fine cooking temp.  Butts are so full of fat and collagen, they are pretty forgiving.  Mopping - I probably would have, but I don't always do it on butts as I do on brisket and ribs.  

Even though you had to do direct heat, the fire was far enough away from the meat that you could do that.  I really like cooking on those type smokers.  The one in my sig. is a direct heat also.  Used to be my favorite cooker for when I have lots of different things to do.  You can always find hotter places to put things that need hotter, and cooler places for things that need cooler temps.  

BTW, that is one sharp looking rig.  Love the side "tables"!

Were you done by midnight?  

Oh, and you have permission to squirt the whiners!  
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

classicrockgriller

That would have been fun just to be there and watch.

Very nice!

Redneckinthecity

Thanks, Caneyscud.  The first ones came off around midnight, the last one at 2 am (dang old stubborn hog).  I rotated them every 3 hours, but I ran out for a few hours around 5 pm and everything cooled off more than I expected, so I probably added an hour or 2 to my time because of that.  My wife was giving me a hard time about posting so much on here, but I told her there was too much riding on the event (not to mention first time cooking on this rig and never cooking that much before) and I needed lots of expert advice.  I've fried catfish for that many, but it's more mechanical than trying to time bbq.
The tables really work well - when towing or not in use, they swing around and sit next to the fire box.  It also has 2 propane burners that fit in a rack that hook up to a propane tank mounted on the front. 

All of this food was for our neighborhood swimming pool.  We also had a moon bounce and cotton candy for the kids.

SnellySmokesEm

Congratulations!!!!  It looks like you pulled it off!  No Pun intended... Don't worry about posting too much on the site, she'll learn to deal with it.  Most of ours have.   ;D ;D ;D
Is it bad if my wife refers to the smoker as "The Mistress"?
MasterBuilt Electric Smokehouse
Charbroil Red 4 Burner With Auto Clean
Big Easy Smoker Roaster Grill
BBQ Evangelist

Caneyscud

Quote from: SnellySmokesEm on July 06, 2010, 11:02:04 AM
Congratulations!!!!  It looks like you pulled it off!  No Pun intended... Don't worry about posting too much on the site, she'll learn to deal with it.  Most of ours have.   ;D ;D ;D
Or we do if from the office - so SHE doesn't know!

Looks like a fun time for everyone!
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"