Preparing for Cold Smoking

Started by hawleybuzz, July 06, 2010, 12:48:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hawleybuzz

???Good Morning everybody,
I`m a "Newbie" from England & have just taken delivery of my new m/c.
Problem is that I have a freezer full of Trout & getting started is my main worry for today.
Now I`ve read so much on the preparation of the fish,prior to the actual "Smoke" that I am more than a little confused.
Some writers say a Dry Cure,some say mix salt,sugar & some herbs in a little water,place all in a sealed food quality plastic container & store in the Cooler,but for how long?
Come on People,is there anybody out there who is kind enough to sit down & write me a few words of "Wisdom"!
Yours Very Faithfully in "HUNGER".I`m waiting.
Buzz.

Habanero Smoker

I don't prepare that much fish, and it depends on the recipe if I use a wet or dry brine. I've provided a link to some fish recipes on the recipe site, but they are all hot smoked. Some of the members who smoke a lot of fish will be along.
Fish

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

3rensho

I generally dry brine my fish.  Do mostly salmon and trout.  Use a mixture of 2/3 brown sugar and 1/3 sea salt with a pinch of powdered garlic and a handful of chopped herbs.  I cover the fish with the mix and let it sit about 12-14 hours in the fridge.  Wash it off, let it dry to form a pellicle and cold smoke it.  This is for fillets, not whole fish.
Somedays you're the pigeon, Somedays you're the statue.

hawleybuzz

Thanks for that,gonnagive it a go anyway
Best regards,
Buzz

Quarlow

Quote from: 3rensho on July 06, 2010, 03:57:36 AM
I generally dry brine my fish.  Do mostly salmon and trout.  Use a mixture of 2/3 brown sugar and 1/3 sea salt with a pinch of powdered garlic and a handful of chopped herbs.  I cover the fish with the mix and let it sit about 12-14 hours in the fridge.  Wash it off, let it dry to form a pellicle and cold smoke it.  This is for fillets, not whole fish.
I do the same only I hot smoke. And I add a layer of brown sugar half way threw. Or I brush on some maple syrup several times through-out the smoke/cook.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

alanwyatt

Hi.  I find hot smoking better for trout, but I cold smoke salmon.  I've had a lot of success using Mark Hix recipe/formula which you can find on Utube.  In England (like you), salmon is expensive so I buy several when Tesco have them @ 50% discount!  I've only been smoking for 3 - 4 months, but I'll help if I can.

Regards.

Alan

manxman

QuoteI've had a lot of success using Mark Hix recipe/formula

I have used a Mark Hix based method for sides of trout around the 6lb mark but I did knock back the 12 hour dry cure period a bit compared to the salmon recipe below. I haven't used it for the typical  1 -2 lb sized trout we usually get around here; I tend to (wet) brine and hot smoke them on the odd occasion I have smoked such fish.

http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=15312.0
Manxman