Cold Smoking Salmon

Started by cg_lux, August 05, 2010, 11:05:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cg_lux

Hi, Im new to smoking and have a question, for my first attempt I have gone for a side of salmon that weighed a kilo. I brined it in 80% brine for two hours, dried it in a refrigerator for 24 and gave it two overnight smokes of about 8 hours each. The resulting fish still ways 910 grams and I understand that it needs to lose 18% before you can eat it...... Having tried some though, it already tastes very smoky indeed and I dont want to continue the overnight smokes... Can I eat it as it is?

Habanero Smoker

I've made lox before, but I have used longer brining times; at about the same salinity your brine is. I've never weighed the fillets before or after. You brine has a high salinity, and if they were brined long enough they should be safe to eat. If my calculations are correct, you have lost more then 18% of it's green weight.

Hopefully one of the members that use salmon a lot will provide some assistance.

Here is a link to cold smoke salmon:
Best Smoked Salmon (LOX)

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Habanero Smoker

Hi cg_lux;

I forgot to welcome you to the forum.

Also I'm re-reading my post. For some reason my eyes were seeing 910g, but my brain was registering 810g. So you have a 9% weight loss, but as I mentioned earlier I've never weighed mine before or after.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

3rensho

Hi and welcome,

I dry brine mine overnight and then cold smoke for three hours and love the result.  Have never weighed mine though.
Somedays you're the pigeon, Somedays you're the statue.

cg_lux

Thanks a lot for your comments and the welcome! I have tried the salmon and its fantastic and so far no side effects!! The only reason I was a little apprehensive is that I had read a few different books and all of them had been really specific about the 17-18% weight loss, anyhow, your advice was brilliant and I didnt have to waste a side of salmon, thanks again. Now to try and find other things to smoke!

Quarlow

Quote from: cg_lux on August 08, 2010, 11:30:07 AM
Now to try and find other things to smoke!
Ho boy just let your imagination run away with you. The possibilitys are endless. When I was a kid my dad built his own plywood smoker 3"x3"x12" tall. The only thing we smoked was salmon twice a year. And that is why I bought the OBS, little did I know when I unsuspectingly logged on to this forum what was going to happen to me. As I type I have 8lbs of Canadian Back Bacon in the smoker. And I have had no complaints about the pulled porks I have made. I came up with a forum inspired Stuffed Pork Loin that my kids force me to make about every 2 weeks. You my new forum friend are in for a life style change that tastes awesome and these folks on here are so good at this that your head will spin when you ask for advice. Oh and welcome to the forum. Q
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.