Brisket for Sunday - An Experiment

Started by ArnieM, June 11, 2010, 10:07:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

classicrockgriller

I read it, sure would have like to seen some pics. ;D

ArnieM

It's pouring out.  Good thing for the oven.

Total time was about 13 hours; 5 for smoke and the rest in the oven on Low/Slow.  About what I expected.

Here it is out of the oven.

The first little slice came off the pointy part on the right.  Debbie got it (she's worse than the cats).

Conversation:

"Why didn't you ever make this before?"

"I did."

"Not like this!"

I thank Pachanga for the rub and slather.

The chef got the second slice.

It's cooling down now - but who can wait?  Have to cool it down some before putting it in the fridge.  Debbie went to bed.  All I have to worry about now are the cats.
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

classicrockgriller

That color is righteous.

Black Gold. $$$

hal4uk

Lookin' good, Arnie!
You might oughtta duct tape the cougars to the floor tonight  ;D
No Swine Left Behind KCBS BBQ Team
Peoria Custom Cookers "Meat Monster"
Lang Clone - 'Blue October'
Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex
Backwoods Chubby

DarqMan

Quote from: hal4uk on June 12, 2010, 09:50:49 PM
Lookin' good, Arnie!
You might oughtta duct tape the cougars to the floor tonight  ;D

Awe, come on Hal, those kitties don't like brisket  :o
Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID, Traeger Texas BBQ075, Traeger Junior BBQ055, Bubba Keg with Stoker

New car, caviar, four star daydream, think I'll buy me a football team.

ArnieM

It's in the fridge so I can go to bed.

I'm an advocate of simple.  S&P does it for me on roast beef - well maybe a little garlic.  The Pachanga rub, with 147 ingredients and the mustard slather really worked well on the brisket.  I'll do the reheat later today.

I cut up some smoked beef tenderloin about a week ago.  I cut off some of the not so nice pieces and left it on the cutting board while I went to the bathroom.  They're reserved for the raccoons.  When I got back, there's a cat on the counter chownin' down.

A cat isn't easily trained but they learn very well.  They know which cabinet has what and what the fridge is for.  They're survivors.
-- Arnie

FLBentRider

Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

ArnieM

Well, it's all over and it came out well.

I did an appetizer based on a post CRG had up.  Melon, tomato and onion with a drizzle of EVOO and rice wine vinegar.  Very nice contrast of sweet and sour.

The money shot.  The brisket with simple cole slaw, baked beans with pineapple, bacon, onion and garlic and cheesy grits.  Even the Brits liked it.
-- Arnie

DarqMan

Looks great Arnie.  I like those grits!
Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID, Traeger Texas BBQ075, Traeger Junior BBQ055, Bubba Keg with Stoker

New car, caviar, four star daydream, think I'll buy me a football team.

KevinG

Looks good Arnie, can't say I've ever eaten a grit though.
Rodney Dangerfield got his material from watching me.
Learn to hunt deer www.lulu.com/mediabyKevinG

BuyLowSellHigh

Looks Great, Arnie!

You're going to warp some CT (the state, not the sauce) minds - first cornbread, then brisket and grits.  We have gone global, even i  the USA.
I like animals, they taste good!

Visit the Recipe site here

deb415611

Nice Arnie!

Grits may not be normal CT food but I like them too!  Had some in Baltimore that were made with mascarpone & really good applewood smoked bacon - I'm going to replicate them some day.

OldHickory

A real nice looking brisket Arnie.  You worked hard at it  and it looks like it paid off.  And oh yes, I love cheesy grits, had some this morning with my breakfast .
Bradley DS4 with Auber PID and dual element mod
Char-Broil SRG
Weber kettle with rotisserie
Charmglow 5 burner with rotisserie pgg
Pit Barrel Smoker

We the people own this United States Of America,and the Constitution is our owners manual.

ArnieM

I'm trying to teach these British people how to eat properly. 

Summary:

The cook and reheat on the brisket worked well.  Thanks to BLSH and Habs.

The brisket rub and CYM on the brisket worked very well.  Thanks Pachanga.

The baked beans were B&M, three pound can, simmered with bacon, garlic, onions and pineapple.

Also did the Texas cavier with corn chips as an appetizer.  Went over big.

The cole slaw was - cole slaw.

Grits.  They're so dirt simple I'm surprised I don't make 'em more.  Add the ground corn to boiling water with a pinch of salt and maybe a little butter.  Reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes.  Add shredded cheddar or your favorite cheese (Deb's sounds good).  Good for breakfast or basically good at any time.

It was fun.
-- Arnie

hal4uk

My old man was at the Awful Waffle, when some folks from Arnie's neck of the woods come in...
They order breakfast --- and of course -- everything comes with GRITS.
The lady was real nice and polite, but didn't wanna even try grits (nor did the dad or the kids)...

She says, "I know you're going to think we're 'damned yankees', but we just don't eat that stuff - whatever it is..."
The waitron unit asks, "are you visiting? or moving down here?"
The nice lady says, "Ohh.. we're just visiting..."
Waitron unit: "Well.. You're just Yankees!  You're not Damned Yankees!  WELCOME TO NASHVILLE!!!"
No Swine Left Behind KCBS BBQ Team
Peoria Custom Cookers "Meat Monster"
Lang Clone - 'Blue October'
Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex
Backwoods Chubby