Keep Doing It Till You Get It Right....Brisket Attempt #2 with Beef Ribs

Started by Smokin Elvis, June 12, 2010, 12:14:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smokin Elvis

Got a 6lb brisket flat going on upper rack with some beef ribs as well on top rack...using a wireless thermometer on the brisket, going for 190 internal temp.    OBS set on high and is running about 205-210 degrees.   Should take about 6-7 hours if last attempt is any guide.   Didn't trust my thermometer last time and cooked an extra hour....that was a mistake and meat was a bit dry....will trust the thermometer this time.  Modified my rub a bit as well.  As for the beef ribs, planning to pull the ribs after 3 hours, wrap in foil and cook another 2 hours, sauce them, remove foil and put them in for 30 minutes.

Any problem with using smoke the entire time I am cooking?  I am a Texas boy moved to Florida and miss mesquite smoked brisket, so I am not sure it would ever be too smokey for me.  Friends with a wood smoker, they can't cut off the smoke at all and I love their brisket, so figure I will smoke for the duration and see how it turns out. 

Hoping this turns out good.  Input appreciated.

elvis

KevinG

It does seem like a lot of smoke, especially for the ribs. After 4 hours worth you're probably not going to get much more penetration anyhow. I wouldn't do more then 3 on the ribs if using a light smoke wood like apple - if your going to use a heavy smoke wood like mesquite you might even want to go less.
Rodney Dangerfield got his material from watching me.
Learn to hunt deer www.lulu.com/mediabyKevinG

Mr B

Personally I dont run smoke for more that 3 hours on anything I smoke in the Bradley.  The Bradley gives of a much stronger, pure smoke than my old Capsul style H2o Smoker.  The first time I did ribs in the Bradley I ran smoke for 5 hours...way too much.
Try 3 hours.  You will be pleased.

Smokin Elvis

Thanks.  Do you guys find that you have to replace the water in the bowl while you are cooking and how often?  I am running at about 210 degrees according to the door thermometer, which is the max I can get out of the OBS.  The water in the bowl adds to the moisture content of the meat?  thanks.

classicrockgriller

KevinG

You'll probably want to pull, dump and refresh after the smoke is done. I'm not a brisket guy (hard to find out here), so hopefully someone with more experience will chime in soon as to whether it'll help that or not.
Rodney Dangerfield got his material from watching me.
Learn to hunt deer www.lulu.com/mediabyKevinG

classicrockgriller

Caneyscud

I know I'm late, but rolling smoke the entire cook is fine.  I love me lots of smoke flavor also (native Texan also)- so I'll pour it on briskets and butts for many hours.  Sometimes I get all cheap like, and not want to spend money on pucks and I will not do it as long   ;D  I do wonder though if there is a spot where there is diminishing returns where one might not want to spend money in pucks for a smaller increase in smoke flavor than they are willing to pay for, but I'm convinced that the increased smoke flavor from longer burns = increased brisket enjoyment!   And I usually run smoke for the entire cook for ribs also.  Not too smokey for me or my family.  

Only suggestion is to watch out for the 190 IT.  That can be on the high side of slicing IT - especially for a flat.
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

StickyDan

what CC said.  Can't have too much smoke.  I find the bradley mesquite to be a little harsher than the rest of the flavors so you  may want to try mixing a little.   I used mesquite, apple, oak and hickory for my last smoke and it tasted great.  I've only tried a couple briskets.  Both times I got to 190 and both times the brisket was to dry for my liking.  I think I will try at about 180-185 next time.