Say "Cheese!"

Started by Ka Honu, June 13, 2010, 07:02:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ka Honu

Been holding up under the move rules pretty well (no toys till everything is unpacked) but, after finishing the base for "Turtle Island" yesterday...

... I realized we were close to running out of smoked cheese (after only 3 months?) and I finally snapped (so to speak). 

It was like sleepwalking or autopilot or something.  I apparently found all the OBS parts, put them together, cut up the chunks of cheese, and ran the load.  When I "came to" four hours later, SWMBO was giving me a funny look (not unusual), I had a beer in my hand (also a relatively regular occurrence) and there was a load of cheddar, Irish cheddar, pepper jack, Gouda, Swiss, Parmesano Reggiano, and horseradish cheddar to vac-pack.

First time for the Swiss, Parmesano, & horseradish - be interesting to see how those turn out.

squirtthecat

Quotehorseradish cheddar

Wow.  That does sound interesting..

3rensho

I'm curious about the Parmesan.  I make a pasta dish using smoked chicken and maybe the smoked Parmesan would go well with that.
Somedays you're the pigeon, Somedays you're the statue.

hal4uk

I'm behind a bit...  What are "move rules" and why have they been implemented?
They run you off to the other side of the island, or what?
No Swine Left Behind KCBS BBQ Team
Peoria Custom Cookers "Meat Monster"
Lang Clone - 'Blue October'
Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex
Backwoods Chubby

Mr Walleye

Quote from: hal4uk on June 13, 2010, 08:10:36 AM
I'm behind a bit...  What are "move rules" and why have they been implemented?
They run you off to the other side of the island, or what?

:D  :D  :D  :D  ;D

I think it's when the better half kicks your a$$ for not doing the honey-do-list first.

:D  :D  :D  :D  ;D

Been there & done that....  ::)

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

Ka Honu

Quote from: hal4uk on June 13, 2010, 08:10:36 AMWhat are "move rules" ...

We moved about a mile into a new house and, other than a Patio Caddie, I've been without TBE, smoker, and grill(s) for almost two months.  Should finish "Turtle Island*" in another few days and then everything will be able to start moving from odd corners of the garage and shed into their new home.

*The outdoors is divided into three parts - the "East Bay" (pool), "SWMBO's Jungle" (gardening and alchemy going on there), and "Turtle Island" (a small home for things that burn flesh).

pensrock

smoked horseradish cheese is fantastic!!!  :)

hal4uk

Cool..  Just out of curiosity, what kinda decking are you going to use?
I love project details - especially when I'm not part of the labor pool...

Nice looking cheese, BTW..  ;D
No Swine Left Behind KCBS BBQ Team
Peoria Custom Cookers "Meat Monster"
Lang Clone - 'Blue October'
Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex
Backwoods Chubby

BuyLowSellHigh

Be very nice to the turtles - they are my favorite sea creatures.  This guy was my buddy for half a day.

I like animals, they taste good!

Visit the Recipe site here

Ka Honu

Quote from: hal4uk on June 13, 2010, 10:42:43 AMCool..  Just out of curiosity, what kinda decking are you going to use?

Plain old treated DF with Behr weatherproofing/stain.  Don't like the fake stuff and cedar/redwood are way too expensive.

Quote from: BuyLowSellHigh on June 13, 2010, 10:51:04 AM... they are my favorite sea creatures. 

I'd feel a lot better about that if you hadn't written "I like animals, they taste good!" right under the excellent photos of Cousin Fred.

KevinG

Rodney Dangerfield got his material from watching me.
Learn to hunt deer www.lulu.com/mediabyKevinG

BuyLowSellHigh

Sea turtles are not on my "animals" list, neither are sharks, marine mammals cats, dogs, horses, and a bunch of others. Those guys are friends.

Over where you are you have a decent population of the Green Sea guys, who remain on the endangered species list.  Need to protect Turtle Bay (and Turtle Reef on Maui too.).

This is one of those things I tend to get very serious about.

edit - meant to add:  Cousin Fred is a Hawksbill that was very friendly (kept coming around and bumping me over three separate dives), pics taken in the Turks and Caicos about three years ago.
I like animals, they taste good!

Visit the Recipe site here

Mr B

Very nice load of Cheese.  It feels strange if Saturday rolls around and I dont have anything to smoke.  Sometimes I think about burning a few pucks just to get the yard smellin good.  ;D

DTAggie

Looks great.  The pepper jack and cheddar I did back in April gets better every damn time I eat some.  Did fajitas campins this weekend with shredded smoked pepper jack.  Was awesome.

DarqMan

I've never seen a Bradley loaded with cheese like that.  I'd be curious how the parmesan turns out.  Sounds interesting.
Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID, Traeger Texas BBQ075, Traeger Junior BBQ055, Bubba Keg with Stoker

New car, caviar, four star daydream, think I'll buy me a football team.