my first post and I need help

Started by Mikecosta, June 14, 2010, 11:15:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

classicrockgriller

Quote from: Mikecosta on June 14, 2010, 01:49:44 PM
thanks for the help and support.  I hope I don't sound to pushy or arrogant I am just trying to absorb and understand.  I am a little scared and overwhelmed by the task ahead of me but looking forward to implementing all the suggestions.  

Mike, I too admire your willingness to do what you are doing.

Sounds like fun to me!

But it is very doable over two weekends.

If you want to start on a Friday nite, you can go heavy the first weekend. Maybe 4 butts at a time.

If you want to talk to me live about a plan for what you want to do, I will be glad to pm you my #.

You can do it, and We can help!

Mikecosta

That's incredible generosity of your time.  I feel much better about the plan especially going real hard at it this weekend with the smoke then the oven.  I will gain a lot of experience and it will help for the second round.  We started this thing for the church doing 200 lbs of deep fried chicken (about 400 pieces) once we mastered that we said let's do pulled pork.  I find it incredible that people are so generous with their help and so willing to pass on thier knowledge.  Thanks again.

ArnieM

Everyone on the forum is here to both learn and help when possible Mike. 

I want to see some pics of this endeavor.  :D
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

BuyLowSellHigh

Mike, that's the beauty of these forums.  The experienced here (not me - I'm a rookie) want you to be successful and they are very giving.  Have a question or puzzled?  Ask and you'll get answers.  It is a real community of caring people helping each other .

And ArnieM is right - must supply pics of this massive endeavour.
I like animals, they taste good!

Visit the Recipe site here

ArnieM

BLSH, I think you're a ringer.  You know too much to be a rookie.  ;D
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

TestRocket

After reading all the way down I have to say there are many hours of experience being talked about and it's helpful too me and many others I'm sure. I can see a plan coming together if it were me so about all I can say is good luck and PICS are good!

BuyLowSellHigh

Quote from: ArnieM on June 14, 2010, 06:35:05 PM
BLSH, I think you're a ringer.  You know too much to be a rookie.  ;D

8)  8)  8)  8)  8)

A rookie in the Bradley smoker world, but I have been cooking for a while.
I like animals, they taste good!

Visit the Recipe site here

FLBentRider

Sometimes a picture is worth a bunch.

This is ~32lbs of pork. I put them in this way since putting them one on a rack for four racks, there is not enough clearance between racks, and you end up with one solid column of meat. The surface to mass ratio of a butt is minimal at best , so sacrificing the top and bottom is not an option for me.

I don't see any way to get 18 more pounds of butt in there and be able to get the door closed.  ;D
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Mikecosta

Similar to BLSH I have cooking experience but not butt for 200 people.  The large quantity really presents different challenges.  You don't want to do trail and error with all that butt.

Mikecosta

That's a great pic.  I agree I don' see how you could get anymore butt crammed in the Bradley.  Could you get 2 more butts in a 6 rack?

classicrockgriller

Quote from: Mikecosta on June 14, 2010, 07:01:03 PM
That's a great pic.  I agree I don' see how you could get anymore butt crammed in the Bradley.  Could you get 2 more butts in a 6 rack?

Probably ....... Butt can you put 6 butts in your oven?

Mikecosta

Yes I can get 6 butts in the oven.  It is 19d X 28w X 13h.  Pull I have another smaller oven half the width.

classicrockgriller

Do u have access to a 6rk Bradley?

Mikecosta

Yes. I can get my hands on a 6 rack.

classicrockgriller

Well u seen the way FLBR stacked his in a 4rk.

It might work for the 4 hrs of smoking.