my first post and I need help

Started by Mikecosta, June 14, 2010, 11:15:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mikecosta

I agree.  it looks like it could be a match.  6 rack for 6 butts of 40+ lbs of 4 hour smoke and then transfer the load to the oven to finish until IT of 195.

KyNola

Mike,
I think you've got this!  If you have access to a 6 rack and then have access to oven space to cook those butts at 225 degrees after 4 hours of HICKORY smoke on those butts you can so pull this off.  Light that Bradley up hot as you can get it.  It's going to take time to load all those butts in the Bradley.  Heat in the tower will be gone.  Bricks will certainly help in recovery.

Way to go Mike.  Great plan and more importantly great bunch of folks to be feeding.

Mikecosta

I will brick it and will boiling water in the drip pan work?  I will also load the racks and play with the configuration of the butts the day before.  The practice loading will be fun.

ArnieM

The boiling water in the drip pan can certainly help.  I always do it.
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

KyNola

Boiling hot water in the water bowl won't hurt!  I'm sure you know this but take those butts out of the frig at least an hour before they're going in the Bradley.  The colder they are going in, the longer it will take for the temp in the tower to start coming back up.

You can do this.

Mikecosta

I intended to bring the butts to room temp 60/70 degrees. I have a thermopen instant read temp gauge.

KyNola

Mike,
You 100% know what you're doing.  Enjoy the ride.  This will be a great experience.

Have fun and let us know and see the results.

classicrockgriller

OK MIKE, LISTEN!

We (the Forum) have had several several people come and ask for advise on a LARGE

smoke like this.

We (the Forum ... not me! ;D ) are visual people.

I (I mean they, them) like pics of massive amounts of smoked goodies!

So do you know how to post a pic?

Here let me help you.

Try this link to get your pictures going.

http://www.susanminor.org/forums/showpost.php?p=768&postcount=11

EZ Smoker

A question about the end of the plan:

Are you planning to pull the pork before you freeze it?   I've read opinions recently from people who have tried it both ways, and I think pulling it beforehand was preferred, but I'm not sure what the reasoning was.   Something to consider while you're finalizing your plan.
It may seem like I'm rubbing salt in the wound, but the truth is I'm trying to cure it.

Mikecosta

I plan on pulling before I freeze.  I saw this device called a Ro-man pork puller that fits into an electric drill that really pulls a 8 lb butt in less than a minute with no problems.  I ordered it over the weekend and they shipped it today should have it by Wednesday.  Will FTC for a couple of hours then pull then shrink wrap and freeze.  Should I sauce a little in the shrink wrap?  Seems it would help the reheat.

DarqMan

Quote from: Mikecosta on June 14, 2010, 08:45:26 PM
I plan on pulling before I freeze.  I saw this device called a Ro-man pork puller that fits into an electric drill that really pulls a 8 lb butt in less than a minute with no problems.  I ordered it over the weekend and they shipped it today should have it by Wednesday.  Will FTC for a couple of hours then pull then shrink wrap and freeze.  Should I sauce a little in the shrink wrap?  Seems it would help the reheat.

Here's a video of squirtthecat and hal using that pork puller this weekend:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iBqr86SGrWY
Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID, Traeger Texas BBQ075, Traeger Junior BBQ055, Bubba Keg with Stoker

New car, caviar, four star daydream, think I'll buy me a football team.

classicrockgriller

Question Mike.

have you decided what rub you are going to use?

If so, when you use the robo puller you can sprinkle a little rub in as you pull it.

Shrink wrap and freeze, then sauce (?) when you warm them.

You got it going!

Mikecosta

I am going to use the blk pep/paprika/brown sug/ salt/ cayenne/garlic powder/ dry mustard rub.  Will use yellow mustard first so that rub sticks.  I will take pictures and post.

The you tube ro-man puller link didn't work but I hAve seen the demo when I purchased the puller and it was awesome.

classicrockgriller

Actualy if you are gonna pull it first, no shrink wrap.

Freeze bags and push as much air out as you can before zipping the sealer.

Gizmo

The link just worked for me so I wonder what error you are getting?  Firewall block?
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/