Smoking my First Brisket...WTS Style

Started by Caribou, June 15, 2010, 05:26:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caribou

After seeing Deb and CRG smoke beautiful beef briskets not too long ago I decided I needed to try one too.
It's a 4 pound portion but now I have learned that next time around to ask our meat guy to leave it whole.
I'm trying it WTS Style, here's the link for the recipe http://www.susanminor.org/forums/showthread.php?525-WTS-Brisket

The only modification I'm doing is 2 hours of smoke instead of 4 hours. 
I figured it would be a good starting point in my case because I have a hubby who is doesn't like a lot of smoke favor in anything other than jerky.  :D

Here's the cut of brisket I'm working with.

I took a picture of the rub before I shook it up because it was just darn pretty. :)
The rub is really tasty just on it's own so I know it's going to be good with a little smoke and brisket added to it.

Here's the brisket all rubbed down.

I just put it in the smoker this morning. 
Because of it's small size it will probably finish well before dinner time...I think.

Carolyn

FLBentRider

Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Caneyscud

Alright - Carolyn doing a brisket - all's well with the world.  Looking mighty fine so far.  I'm sure you're going with the messywood! 

However, iff'n I was still in Texas, I wouldn't call that a brisket, I'd call that a snack!   ;D

Low-n-slow and watch out for too high of an finishing IT. 

Your sand art bottle is "pritty" or it is "purdy"?  I'm full of androgens - how could I be qualified to think about stuff like that?   ;D ;D ;D ;D
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

Caribou

Quote from: Caneyscud on June 15, 2010, 05:37:24 AM
Alright - Carolyn doing a brisket - all's well with the world.  Looking mighty fine so far.  I'm sure you're going with the messywood! 

However, iff'n I was still in Texas, I wouldn't call that a brisket, I'd call that a snack!   ;D

Low-n-slow and watch out for too high of an finishing IT. 

Your sand art bottle is "pritty" or it is "purdy"?  I'm full of androgens - how could I be qualified to think about stuff like that?   ;D ;D ;D ;D
Caney,
I don't know if you know it or not but you are the one that pushed me over the edge on this one.  :D
Something about the brisket calling from the freezer, wanting out.  ;)
Carolyn

DTAggie

Carolyn, glad to see you are jumping on board with brisket.  I feel certain you and hubby will enjoy it.

Tenpoint5

All Right Carolyn!! Be some good eats coming your way I am sure of it!!
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

classicrockgriller

Brisket is looking good.

Love your Sand (spice) jar.

It is purdy.

KevinG

Quote from: Caribou on June 15, 2010, 05:26:28 AM

I took a picture of the rub before I shook it up because it was just darn pretty. :)

Now didn't anybody tell you not to play with your food.  ;D

Looking good Carolyn.
Rodney Dangerfield got his material from watching me.
Learn to hunt deer www.lulu.com/mediabyKevinG

Caribou

Quote from: KevinG on June 15, 2010, 11:31:22 AM
Quote from: Caribou on June 15, 2010, 05:26:28 AM

Now didn't anybody tell you not to play with your food.  ;D

Looking good Carolyn.
Before I shook it up, I actually took it out to the front yard to show my family and they said the same thing CRG said: neat sand art  :D
It doesn't take much to entertain us around here. ;)
Carolyn
Carolyn

classicrockgriller

Caribou

It's done CRG! :)
It came out so good...I'm really pleased, WesTexasSmoker has a great recipe.

I did 2 hours of the mesquite @ 220F but I could have gone with more without it being overbearing.

Put it in a foil pan and added a little apple juice, covered the pan tightly with foil and returned it to the smoker for 6hrs @ 220F
When I pulled it out of the smoker it was really tender, look how the rub made the drippings such a lovely color.

FTC'd for 3 hours and it was just fantastic. 

The family just loved it :)

Looking forward to the leftovers tomorrow,
Carolyn

DarqMan

It looks wonderful.  Is this the recipe where you're supposed to age it for 2-3 weeks?  If so, did you do that?
Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID, Traeger Texas BBQ075, Traeger Junior BBQ055, Bubba Keg with Stoker

New car, caviar, four star daydream, think I'll buy me a football team.

classicrockgriller

You may get renamed "The Brisket Lady".

You aced that brisket!

That is $$$$$!

Fantastic job!

Caribou

Thank you so much :)
I'm hooked!
I didn't do the aging part.
I raise my own beef and have the meat processor hang the carcass for 2 weeks before he cuts and wraps it up.
Carolyn

DTAggie

Mighty fine indeed Carolyn!  Glad everyone is starting to try a brisket.