Finger food in the OBS (Moink Balls)?

Started by TestRocket, June 16, 2010, 07:13:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TestRocket

I have come across the Moink Balls only a couple of time over the last 3-4 weeks and I'm thinking of doing some type of finger food in the OBS on Sat (the ABT's will be to hot for this crowd). So I'm looking for ideas? Help!

classicrockgriller

Waterchestnuts wrapped in Bacon.

Pineapple chucks in bacon.

I do ABT (sorta) but my fam doesn't likem hot either.

A couple of hints if you want to try a few.

Select jalapeno with a rounded end (not pointed)

be sure and core the seeds and the veins out (that's the hot part)

put water in a pot and when it comes to a boil, dump the jala's in the water.

When it comes back to a boil, boil for 2 to 3 minutes and immediately take from

the heat and cool with cold (cool tap water) to stop the cooking.

The jalapenos will lose about 75% to 85% of their heat, but you still taste the jalapeno.

Then you can stuff them and bacon wrap them as normal ABT's.

TestRocket

I like the idea of cooling down the jalapeno for ABT's and the pineapple and bacon everybody would like. Come to think about it I think I saw bacon wrapped pineapple yesterday somewhere? What about the Moink Balls, is it just one recipe or many?

.I'm done for the night. Thanks and I'll check back tomorrow!  :)

BuyLowSellHigh

Anything wrapped in bacon - could do chicken breast chunks, shrimp, steak chunks, whatever (marinated or not)

Smoked beef (good steak cut) cubes w sauce

Sausage smoked, cut into bite size pieces (add toothpicks)

Smoked salsa with whatever

Smoked pearl / broiler / cocktail onions

Smoked shrimp

Pulled pork/beef taquitos or little sliders (or a small slider version of you ICB brat burger)  :)

Think small food and do it!
I like animals, they taste good!

Visit the Recipe site here

ArnieM

Many just buy a package of frozen meatballs; thaw before use.  You can make your favorites out of any combination of meat and spices.  The key is "wrapped in bacon".  Smoke/cook until the bacon is done.

I believe if you make the meatballs from bulk sausage they're called oinkoinkballs.

As BLSH said, you can wrap darn near anything in bacon and smoke/cook it.

I usually do the ABTs as CRG suggested - cored with a quick par boil up front.  I skipped that step last time and darn near knocked my wife off her chair.  You can even add a little sugar to the water to knock the heat down some.

You have bacon, you can make anything.
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

Habanero Smoker

As Arnie pointed out Moinkballs are meatballs wrapped with a half slice of bacon and the bacon is secured with a toothpick. You can use any type of ground meat or sausage to make your meatballs, and add the seasoning you like. Some dust the Moinkballs with a rub, and/or glaze them prior to cooking.

I have done pineapple chunks wrapped in bacon, but it is best to par-cook the bacon in a microwave. Place strips of bacon on a microwave proof plate, and place another plate on top. (The plate on top of the bacon helps prevent the bacon for shriveling too much). Place in microwave and microwave on high for 1 to 3 minutes.  Start with one minute and then use 30 second intervals. You don't want to over cook the bacon.The bacon should have rendered some of its fat and have shrunk a little, but still pliable to wrap around the pineapple chunks. When bacon is cool enough to handle, cut bacon into lengths just long enough to wrap around the pineapple, roll in white granulated sugar (adding some pepper to the sugar is good), and secure the bacon with a toothpick.

If you can find Halloumi cheese any where in your area, that is great cheese to use when you are using high temperatures. You can grill it; it will not melt, and you get great flavors. Just coat it with olive oil and your favorite seasonings. You can cut that up into chunks and warp that in bacon, cook it and it will retain it's shape.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

pensrock

If you can find some fresh pepperonchini peppers, use them instead of penos. No heat but still taste great.

TestRocket

Thanks everybody! Lots of good ideas here and I'm sure I'll come up with something. I'll post PICS!   ;D

Sorce

Another thing I've done on the grill before, would probably be good in the smoker as well. Take shrimp and butterfly them, put a slice a jalapeno in there and close it back up, wrap it in bacon. I don't remember what kind of seasonings I have used on the shrimp, I like to play around with that part but they normally come out pretty tasty. And since it's just a small strip of the jalapeno they aren't really hot at all.

Caneyscud

- Wings is finger food

- Smoke a bologna chub and cut up - install on top of a Ritz, with a slice of smoke cheese - cowboy goremay!

- Pig Candy

- Take those little itty cocktail sausages or cubed ham, or cubed spam, put them in a foil boat - pour a sauce over them (maple syrup, apricot nector, pineapple, teriyaki, enchilada, honey mustard, french dressing, etc...) maybe some sort of your favorite rub, put pan in smoker for and hour or two - stirring occassionally to make sure they're covered in sauce

- Stuffed mushrooms

- Diablos, oh, but may be too hot.

- If ya do the pineapple/bacon thingie - be sure to use a bourbon glaze - kicks it up.

- Smoked catfish dip

- wrap asparagus in bacon, or ham

- smoked potato skins

- Smoke some oysters.  Mix some softened cream cheese with some dried french onion dip.  Top Ritz or Triscuit with some cream cheese mixture and then with a smoked oyster dash of tobasco and pop in mouth.

- Do a fatty, but finish up with a wrap or croisant dough and baked - classy cowboy

- Scotch eggs

- Green Bean Appetizer
Ingredients:

2 cans of cut green beans
2 sticks of butter
1 package bacon
2 cups brown sugar
1 tablespoon garlic powder

start off by draining the green beans and emptying them out of the cans so they are easier to grab. cut the bacon strips in half and roll about 5 or 6 cut green beens with bacon and hold together with a tooth pick. do that until you have a pan full of the little delicious things.

melt the butter in a sauce pan and mix in the garlic powder and brown sugar and than pour over the top of the green been bacon wraps. cover with foil.

place into a 350 degree oven or better smoker for 1 hour. remove foil and put back in oven for an additional 15-20 minutes until the brown sugar starts to carmelize.

Smoked Green Beans

Mix 3 cans of green beans (drained) per 1 can cream of mushroom soup.
Add 1 tbsp of bacon grease (drippings as the foodies like to call it)and some bacon. Mix in frenches onions from a can.
Smoke for 2-3 hrs.
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

TestRocket

Ok, now my mouth is watering and I'm hungry!

NePaSmoKer

For those of you that have not seen the eats from last years nepa smokeout here is the link to Roadkings site. He and his wife took the pics. MooOinks, ABT'S and goodies.

http://www.thebrunofamilysite.com/smoke_house/nepasmokeout/2009_smkout.html

classicrockgriller

Take a look at WTS's smoked egg rolls!