Smoking Novice

Started by bgregs, June 17, 2010, 12:48:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

squirtthecat

That's not a hunt - that's a vendetta!

KevinG

;D ;D ;D Nobody touches fredo while moma's still alive.
Rodney Dangerfield got his material from watching me.
Learn to hunt deer www.lulu.com/mediabyKevinG

bgregs

Amen Brother....or sister!

shoresdiver

On the tenderloin question -- I have been cold smoking for about 1 1.5 hours, wrapping in saran and refrigerating overnight, and then grilling.  I'm not sure why the wrap and chill makes a difference, but it really seems to allow the smoke to get into the meat.

Also, this is the best user's forum I have ever seen.  You will find that you get all the help you could possibly ask for.

bgregs

Beef Tenderloin turned out great 1 1/2-2 hrs @ 200-225 and a few minutes on the grill and it was the most tender I have ever had...thanks for everyone's suggestions.  Now onto 3-4 shoulders and 2 turkey breasts for next weekend...will try Jan's rub for the pork and would like a different flavor for the turkey...i'm all ears!

classicrockgriller

hal4uk

Quote from: bgregs on June 19, 2010, 05:38:26 PM
Beef Tenderloin turned out great 1 1/2-2 hrs @ 200-225 and a few minutes on the grill and it was the most tender I have ever had...thanks for everyone's suggestions.  Now onto 3-4 shoulders and 2 turkey breasts for next weekend...will try Jan's rub for the pork and would like a different flavor for the turkey...i'm all ears!

Good to hear that! 
Smoked Tenderloin!
Heck Yeah!

STC (Squirt The Cat) is our resident Turkey expert...
He'll be along with some ideas...
(probably involving CT!)

No Swine Left Behind KCBS BBQ Team
Peoria Custom Cookers "Meat Monster"
Lang Clone - 'Blue October'
Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex
Backwoods Chubby

bgregs

Somewhere I ran across and forgot to copy the link that provided a newbie with smokee abbreviations and such...can anyone pass along a helpful hint to find it again?

Thanks so much...all have been very helpful

FLBentRider

Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

bgregs

Got it...thanks FLB...was curious about the PID..doesn't look like something I want to mess with just yet

bgregs

First time for smoking for pulled pork...Have four 8# pork shoulders to smoke on my new OBS4...should I trim a bit before I use rub & is it OK to do all four at the same time

classicrockgriller

I hardly ever trim Butts. ;D

You will need to stack the butts so they don't touch each other.

32lbs can be done on your OBS.

KyNola

Trimming is purely a matter of personal preference.  The last 10 butts I have done I have trimmed them.  I think it makes for a heavier bark and a lot less fat to deal with when pulling.  Again, just a matter of preference.  I used to never trim butts before smoking but I read about it and gave it a try.  I happen to like it better but you absolutely do not have to trim butts.

Since you're doing 4, trim 2 and leave 2 untrimmed and compare the results to see which method you prefer.  Good eating either way!

FLBentRider

Quote from: bgregs on June 24, 2010, 10:28:31 AM
First time for smoking for pulled pork...Have four 8# pork shoulders to smoke on my new OBS4...should I trim a bit before I use rub & is it OK to do all four at the same time

You can trim a little if you are so inclined, I usually don't.

Be aware that you will be running at maximum load in your OBS4. That is a LOT of meat.

I've done that many serveral times.

Some advice:

You may need to be creative in how you get the meat in there. You don't want the meat touching anything but the rack its on.

Don't stress over the box not getting back up to temp right away. It won't.

Rotate racks top to bottom and front to back every 4 hours or so.

Expect to the cook to take 20 to 24 hours, perhaps more.

Use FTC to keep the butts warm until pulling/serving time.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

KyNola

Good advice by FLBR.  Don't let those butts touch the walls, especially the back one.  Pork fat rules but pork fat will also catch on fire if it runs down the back wall onto the heating element!  Keep plenty of water in the water pan.  You might consider subbing one of those foil roasting pans you buy at the grocery.  Fill it with water and use it rather than the water pan.  You seriously don't want a fire in your smoker.