Smoking Novice

Started by bgregs, June 17, 2010, 12:48:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bgregs

need a little guidance...smoked four 8# butts in OBS4 for 8+ hours...IT reached between 140-150 for each piece...stopped smoke and have been FTC for 3 hours...my dilemma is that I am preparing pork for tomorrow at 4:00...should I finish in oven tonite and get IT to 180-190...the only reason I started today was that I thought it would take much longer to get IT to desired level before FTC step...if I finish in oven tonite should I pull the pork and wrap it well and warm it for tomorrow...a little overwhelmed for my first attempt .   Also have two 9# boneless turkey breasts to smoke tomorrow to add to the predicament

Help!!!!

FLBentRider

Pop them in a 225F oven, wrap in foil if you like.

I would have left them in, they are about 1/2 done. You haven't gotten to the "stall" ~160F yet.

Why did you pull them @140-150F ?

Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

bgregs

Put them in the oven @ 225F...how long should I keep them in?

"Stall"???...gotta remember, I'm a rank beginner and hoping I didn't ruin the butts for pulled pork...what is your recommendation for pulling pork tonite or tomorrow (after oven time and IT @ 220F  ??)

Your help is greatly appreciated...

FLBentRider

Keep them in the oven until the IT is 190-200F. No matter how long it takes.

Then FC until serving time. If you are going to re-heat, then FTC at least an hour.

I would then de-fat and divide up the butt into large chunks, and use a crock pot or an oven re-heat. You can then further shred at serving time, this will keep it from drying out.

The "stall" is were this cut of meat will go from so tough you can hardly chew it to succulent pulled pork.

What is happening is that the connective tissue that makes it tough (collagen) is  breaking down into two things:

Gelatin (which is what makes it taste so lip smacking good) and water. It is the evaporation of the water that has a cooling effect and makes the temp "stall" at ~160-170F for what is sometimes hours.

After the temp starts to rise again it will continue to rise to your target IT of 190-200F.

And another thing: Please don't dump a bunch of sticky-sweet commercial sauce on it, let the pork and the smoke stand on their own. Serve sauce on the side. And be aware that commercial sauces with "smoke flavor" can conflict with the real thing.

MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

bgregs

THANK YOU FLB...I think you saved my hide...and made sure that I'll have a delectable treat for all the party guests tomorrow afternoon!!

I hate to keep tapping the same well, but I'll be doing two 9# boneless turkey breasts (in fridge w/ overnite rub)...what is your recommendation for a 4:00 serve time with these??

Much obliged!

KyNola

Not FLBR here but for those boneless turkey breasts, first of all set the cook/smoke temp in your Bradley at 250 at least.  Can't mess around with poultry.  Open the vent 100% WIDE open.  Poultry holds a lot of moisture and it needs to get out of the tower.  Cook time is a huge variable.  I'm thinking 4-5 hours hours but don't rely on my estimates.  It's done when it's done.  Monitor the IT of your turkey and react accordingly.  You can FTC them if they are finished early.

Relax, open a cool refreshing beverage of your choice and enjoy the experience.  We all started at one time or the other.

Now... do this thing! 

As my friend CRG says "you can't hurt it, it's dead".

KyNola   

FLBentRider

Squirtthecat is the resident Turkey man.

Poultry doesn't have that same "connective tissue breakdown" issue. It's just a matter of applying smoke and cooking to your desired IT.

Poultry also soaks up smoke like a sponge, put 8 hours on there and I'm not sure you could eat it. Most people do 2 to four hours.

Remember, you can always say "next time we'll use more smoke" and still eat it. If you put on too much for your (or your guests) tastes, there is no "undo" button. Smoke is a seasoning.

That is 18lbs of meat. I'm thinking 6 to eight hours, but don't be surprised if it's done a little early. You're going to want to use the same rack rotation as with the butts.

MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

squirtthecat

TURKEY!

18 pounds?  Wow..   I hope they are thawed..

Fire up your smoker to 250°.  3 hours of smoke.  No more than that. (unless you are using apple)

Keep plenty of water in the drip pan.  Use a larger foil pan if necessary.

You are looking at an IT of 160° in each one of them - so some flipping/rotating of racks will be necessary.

When each roast comes to 160°, pull it and FTC.

Good luck!

bgregs

Nice!...couldn't haven't been more accurately described...yes..thawed completely and 24 hour rub...plan on using Maple for the smoke!
Got the scoop on the pork and the plan for my turkey...feelin' good that all will work out for my first smoking xtravanganza...50# of meat was probably a bit ambitious, but what the hell..certainly has been a terrific learning experience (thanks to all that chimed in with more than there two cents)

A huge thanks to the forum!  Great resource...no need to look elsewhere!

FLBentRider

Quote from: bgregs on June 25, 2010, 08:23:23 PM
50# of meat was probably a bit ambitious, but what the hell..

Way to jump in with both feet!

MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

bgregs

Wow...30#pork and 20#turkey were fabulous!  Enjoyed the leftovers for several days...hated to see it end!  Even had a native NC said she got a bit home sick after having the pulled pork and homemade mopping sauces...Again, thanks to all who pulled me thru this one...had to do a little crawlin' before I started runnin'...both feet on the ground and can't wait for next go round

Slamdunk

Glad to hear it all went well! No pics of this succulent sounding dinner??

KyNola

Way to go man!

You're well on your way now.

bgregs

Want to determine if this is a smoking NoNo...I want to take ribs to the beach to serve on Thurs evening...will not have a smoker there...they are already with rub in my fridge...can I smoke for several hours on Tuesday, wrap very tightly in foil and finish on a grill on Thurs evening?  Other option would be to slow cook in oven on Thurs afternoon and finish on grill Thurs evening..

hal4uk

Quote from: bgregs on August 09, 2010, 07:47:12 PM
Want to determine if this is a smoking NoNo...I want to take ribs to the beach to serve on Thurs evening...will not have a smoker there...they are already with rub in my fridge...can I smoke for several hours on Tuesday, wrap very tightly in foil and finish on a grill on Thurs evening?  Other option would be to slow cook in oven on Thurs afternoon and finish on grill Thurs evening..
Ribs won't be quite as good as when they first come out of the smoker, but they'll be fine heated up on the grill.  Just make sure to baste 'em while grilling (with something like a mix of apple juice and vinegar or whatever tastes good to you).  I probably wouldn't really "finish" them on the grill - more like "reheat".
No Swine Left Behind KCBS BBQ Team
Peoria Custom Cookers "Meat Monster"
Lang Clone - 'Blue October'
Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex
Backwoods Chubby