Timing butt and picnic question

Started by Paddlinpaul, June 17, 2010, 06:37:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paddlinpaul

I am doing my first butt this weekend. I bought a whole pork shoulder -18# - and with some help on the phone from my B-I-L who was a butcher I split the picnic and butt. I hit the ball joint perfectly! The butt seems to be about twice the size of the picnic. I plan on pulling the whole lot of it for a big potluck party on Saturday night. The butt must be 12#, the picnic about 6#. I figure I will start it after dinner on Friday. Smoking for 4 or 5 hours, cooking at 225F. Should the picnic be brought to an IT if 190 also? I figure with the size of it it will be done earlier but I will start them together so they both get all the smoke from the beginning. Am I on the right track?

With my Bradley, no one tells me to quit smoking!

Gizmo

How sweet is that.

Looking for the rest of the progress pictures Paul.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

Paddlinpaul

Just got a new camera I need practice with before my holidays so lotsa pics will follow.

classicrockgriller

If you want to pull it, then do the picnic to 195 to 200 (finished IT)

Was the picnic skinless?

Paddlinpaul

No. Pretty thick layer of fat on one side. Will cook with that side up on the upper rack with the butt under neath it on the 3rd rack (OBS)

FLBentRider

Sounds like a plan. I'd go 190-200F on both.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

ArnieM

You could try making the shank (picnic) into Perrnil, traditional Puerto Rican shank.  I've made this twice and it came out great.  Modify ingredients to your taste.  You can adapt this for the smoker.  Go light on the cumin.

From the NY Times

Recipe: Pernil
Time: At least 3 hours
1 pork shoulder, 4 to 7 pounds (or use fresh ham)
4 or more cloves garlic, peeled
1 large onion, quartered
2 tablespoons fresh oregano leaves or 1 tablespoon dried oregano
1 tablespoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon ancho or other mild chili powder
1 tablespoon salt
2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
Olive oil as needed
1 tablespoon wine or cider vinegar
Lime wedges for serving.
1. Heat oven to 300 degrees. Score meat's skin with a sharp knife, making a cross-hatch pattern. Pulse garlic, onion, oregano, cumin, chili, salt and pepper together in a food processor, adding oil in a drizzle and scraping down sides as necessary, until mixture is pasty. (Alternatively, mash ingredients in a mortar and pestle.) Blend in the vinegar.
2. Rub this mixture well into pork, getting it into every nook and cranny. Put pork in a roasting pan and film bottom with water. Roast pork for several hours (a 4-pound shoulder may be done in 3 hours), turning every hour or so and adding more water as necessary, until meat is very tender. Finish roasting with the skin side up until crisp, raising heat at end of cooking if necessary.
3. Let meat rest for 10 to 15 minutes before cutting it up; meat should be so tender that cutting it into uniform slices is almost impossible; rather, whack it up into chunks. Serve with lime.
Yield: At least 6 servings.
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

Paddlinpaul

Thanks Arnie, I have another one in the freezer. If  don't need that much pulled pork next time I may try it.

DTAggie

Looks good Paul.  The boys have you covered on temps.

Paddlinpaul

You figure I can budget about 1.5 hours per #? I know the IT is the last word but I am guessing I need to put it on tonight, after dinner,  in order to have it for late afternoon tomorrow. I am hoping to pull it at home before leaving for the party around 4:30 or 5.

FLBentRider

Quote from: Paddlinpaul on June 18, 2010, 06:53:27 AM
You figure I can budget about 1.5 hours per #? I know the IT is the last word but I am guessing I need to put it on tonight, after dinner,  in order to have it for late afternoon tomorrow. I am hoping to pull it at home before leaving for the party around 4:30 or 5.

Those timings will work.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Caneyscud

But don't be surprised they take closer to 2 hours per pound.    That is a bunch of meat.  So the shoulder in 9 to 12 hours and the Butt in 18 to 24 hours.  In other words starting the butt after dinner tonight for an afternoon departure, could be a problem.  But then of course you would have the shoulder. 
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

Paddlinpaul

I get home from work around 5. I'll preheat as soon as I am home and try to get it in ASAP. Thanks for the tip.

Paddlinpaul

Got home earlyand preheated right away. Meat went in at 5:30. Store sold out of hickory but I got a box of 48 Jim Beam biscuits for $12.99  Put 5 hours of them on, PID set for 225F for 25 hours. I'll change the bowl of water before bed when the skoke id done and see where i stand in the morningg
Thanks everyone for your help and suggestions.

ArnieM

I'm not sure what this is:  "when the skoke id done".   ;D

Definitely dump and refill after about 4 hours.  Sounds like you're off to a good start.
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.