Friday Dinner - fifth and Last Insallment

Started by ArnieM, June 18, 2010, 04:18:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ArnieM

As I've said, I like to keep it fairly simple and inexpensive during the week.  The weather was nice today so I got to smoke.

The Angus boneless sirloin was $1.49/Lb on sale, cheap around here.  I have a couple more in the freezer.

Steak - I took it out of the fridge around 11:30 AM and dried it off.  Sprinkled on Rokak's coffee rub.  My review on the rub should be in the July newsletter.  Good stuff.  Back in the fridge on a rack for several hours to dry off some.  Into the OBS for 1:20 of Oak.  Sort of a cold smoke but with temps in the 80's and the SG directly attached, it wasn't all that cold.  Then, onto the grill.

Potatoes - Idaho mashed with garlic, butter, sour cream, milk and S&P.

Salad - Tomato wedges with mozzarella, chick peas, julienne Italian frying peppers, fresh basil and some Italian dressing.

Gravy - Pretty much au jus.  Beef broth with a little Worcestershire sauce and a few drops of Hab sauce.

The end result:
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

OldHickory

A beautiful meal and beautiful presentation.  Good work 8)
Bradley DS4 with Auber PID and dual element mod
Char-Broil SRG
Weber kettle with rotisserie
Charmglow 5 burner with rotisserie pgg
Pit Barrel Smoker

We the people own this United States Of America,and the Constitution is our owners manual.

classicrockgriller

I gained 5 lbs this week looking at your food!

Nice going again!

ArnieM

OH - Thanks for the compliment.

CRG - I gained 5 pounds from eating it!
-- Arnie

squirtthecat

Nice!!   I've seen a few 'coffee rubbed steaks' on various food blogs - and they all look awesome.

KevinG

Arnie, if you don't watch yourself, you're gonna find me sniffing around at your doorstep with all this good food you're cranking out.
Rodney Dangerfield got his material from watching me.
Learn to hunt deer www.lulu.com/mediabyKevinG

ArnieM

Quote from: KevinG on June 18, 2010, 06:34:22 PM
Arnie, if you don't watch yourself, you're gonna find me sniffing around at your doorstep with all this good food you're cranking out.

Watch out for the raccoons.
-- Arnie

KevinG

Those little bandits don't stand a chance. Got slingshot and willing to use it.  ;D
Rodney Dangerfield got his material from watching me.
Learn to hunt deer www.lulu.com/mediabyKevinG

classicrockgriller

If Kevin can make mincemeat out of a piggie, that coon better run and hide! ;D

ArnieM

My raccoons are about 250 pounds.  Debbie feeds 'em.

Anyway, I've never tried coffee based rub before.  TenPoint5 hooked me up for the review.

The site is www.rodakscoffeeandgrills.com.  Check it out.

Rodak's (Marvin) specializes in coffee; more there than I can count.  He also does Primo grills.

AFAIK, the rub is made from roasted organic coffee, pepper, garlic, salt and 'spices'.  Marvin imports the beans, roasts and grinds them. 

The rub is interesting because it doesn't taste like a cup of coffee when you use it.  It's not hot (add your own cayenne if you like).  It just tastes - GOOD.

Debbie (wife) loves it and sprinkles it on baked potatoes and veggies.

You'll see a little more in the review.
-- Arnie

Pachanga

Arnie,

I believe this is when you lean back in the chair and say "This is the way life outta be".

Pachanga

ArnieM

Quote from: Pachanga on June 18, 2010, 07:46:21 PM
Arnie,

I believe this is when you lean back in the chair and say "This is the way life outta be".

Pachanga

Hopefully that will be the way it is on Sunday. 

Today wasn't a good day.  We have wild grape vines growing rampant, probably 6 inches per day, growing over everything.  I have some nasty arthritis in the ankles and knees.  But, I decided to attack the vines.  The vines won.  I fell off of the stone wall.  Some scrapes and bruises but nothing broken.  Damn vines are still there.

Yeah, I think I'll take it easy on Sunday.
-- Arnie

TestRocket

That plate will make the belly full and the taste buds happy.  And pleasing to the eye too!  ;D

ArnieM

Had a little late night snack.

The steak was cold so I could cut it thinly.  Added some of Big Moe's Q sauce (from the CT people).  Heated gently in the nuker.  Lightly toasted a slice of rye bread.  A slice of red onion and a bit of pickle finished it off.

-- Arnie

ilwaldens