19 Pound Pork Shoulder "Please Advise"

Started by punchlock, June 19, 2010, 10:31:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

punchlock

The other day I stopped in at the local butcher shop and picked up this 19# pork shoulder.
Sorry about the blurry pic, the camera is on the fritz :(

I plan on smoking this starting this evening and on through the night. Being new to smoking I have never smoked such a large slab of meat. I have a few questions for the pros.

This shoulder fits in the smoker but it may touch the walls in a couple of locations, Is this a problem?

What should the vent position be for piece of meat this large?

Anyone have a ballpark on estimated cook time?

I am assuming 225 should be the target cooking temp?

How much smoke time?

I have already prepped the shoulder with a hoisin red wine vinegar injection. The rub I used was the famous "Jans rub" and mango chipotle. This was done when I returned form the butcher and it has been wrapped and waiting for smoke for about 30 hours now. As we speak I have it on the counter to bring it up to temp before it goes into the BS. Any help you could offer would be appreciated. I will update pics throughout the process.

Thanks in advance Punch.

KevinG

Although I've never done it, I'm not sure I'd want the meat touching the walls. I suspect it'll create issues with even cooking temperatures. I have heard some people will bend the meat up in the center so the meat won't touch on the edges.

Personally I never smoke for more than 4 hours, cooking time may carry over longer than you expect, so be prepared for a long one just in case.
Rodney Dangerfield got his material from watching me.
Learn to hunt deer www.lulu.com/mediabyKevinG

FLBentRider

Wow thats big.

You don't want it touching the walls. Especially the back. grease can run down the wall to the element, and well, that stuff is flammable.

I would be inclined to take a knife and cut it in half.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

DTAggie

Nothing like going big on your first butt Punch.  What kind of wood?  I personally like about six hours of smoke.

punchlock

Well I just picked up some crown royal biscuits for this smoking session. Maybe I will try and truss the shoulder with butchers twine to see if I can avoid the clearance issues. Thanks for the advice guys.

Punch.

squirtthecat

I'd second the "cut in half" suggestion.   You'll get more smoke exposure/bark that way as well.

classicrockgriller

That is a Big Bertha Butt.

I would be incline to cut it in half also, Butt if you don't cut the Butt and

truss it, after some hrs of cooking you can probably cut it free as it will shrink.

punchlock

Ok I got it in there it took some trussing of the shoulder but it's in. Next time I will cut it in half. I think keeping it whole just became a thing of pride, after enduring all the giggles from the butcher shop about me smoking it whole. Northern Ontario does not see a lot of pulled pork.

Pics will soon follow....

Thanks again guys, Punch.

punchlock

classicrockgriller

Don't know that I would cover my v-tray with foil.

squirtthecat

Quote from: classicrockgriller on June 19, 2010, 03:44:42 PM
Don't know that I would cover my v-tray with foil.

Ditto..   Maybe just the back 1/4 of it to push some heat towards the middle, but not the entire thing.

beefmann

id go for it  whole , and remove the foil from the v tray and  use a  larger catch bowl,  i like 3 hours  of smoke, a beast that  size could take 18 to 24 hours,  though i have  done a  13 lb in 15 hours

punchlock

Thanks guys had the back half covered to regulate temperature swings, it has since been pulled of the drip tray.

Thanks again for the help, Punch.

DTAggie

squirtthecat

Quote from: punchlock on June 19, 2010, 04:15:35 PM
Thanks guys had the back half covered to regulate temperature swings, it has since been pulled of the drip tray.

No worries.  You're gonna need all the heat you can get!

When the smoke is done, I would put a foil pan under if you have one that will fit. (or a larger pan in the bottom of the OBS that clears the smoke gen - full of hot water)

You'll want to rotate the beast sometime before you go to bed...
And ditto to the 'pour yourself a stiff drink'.   :D

I'll be following this one with great interest!