temp.in b.smoker

Started by ruffinit, March 13, 2004, 06:01:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ruffinit

i let my pork butts set out for at least an hour,[two 6lb butts]while warming up smoker,with bicut heater on too,got temp.up to 240f put in pork,temp.won't go over 240,been smokin for four hours now.is that high a heat as possable with sort a big load?vent is closed on top also.

Bassman

Ruffinit,
Your temp is way to high. It would be better to back off the temp to 200F and let it go Low & Slow.You only need an internal meat temp of 165F.The longer it yakes to get there the better.Hope this helps.

<i><font color="blue"><b>Jack</i></font id="blue"></b>
Jack

Cold Smoke

Ruffinit- see Hot Smokin BBQ thread on main page- New customer with problems-for more info on the heat issue. I don't think there is anything wrong with your unit and this is perfectly normal as 240 is plenty for cooking your butts. Actually, you might want to tone it down a touch- somewhere in the 200-220 range should be fine.

Good luck with the butts!

Cold Smoke

ruffinit

thanks jack and cold smoke.butts are looking good,heat down to 200f now,been goin for 8 hrs.now,just basted gonna leave smoke for an hour low heat.the hungry masses are knockin.see ya

Oldman

I've smoked many a butt in my life. [:)] However, never ever over 190 degree F. Shrinkage!

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!!