Do u use a pan for brisket

Started by Ninjak, June 22, 2010, 02:13:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ninjak

Hello peeps i have a ? do u use a pan under your brisket or just set it on the rack and let it cook i am going to let it cook while i am at work on thursday. also it is a small 1 only 4 lbs so how long should i set the smoker to cook i work from 7:00 am to 5:00 pm

Thanks Al

FLBentRider

I do not use a pan under a brisket.

Does that brisket have a fat cap, or is it "market trimmed"

You might want to put a bacon wrap on it if there is no fat.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

EZ Smoker

Also, a drip pan can cause temperature problems in the Bradley.   It can block the heat coming to the meat,while letting heat rise straight up the back ofthe Bradley from the heating element, resulting in the themal sensor getting much hotter than your meat, and cutting the temp back down before you the area where your meat is gets ep to your cooking temp.   

It may seem like I'm rubbing salt in the wound, but the truth is I'm trying to cure it.

Ninjak

it is a market trimmed with some marbling in it so i should put some bacon on it ?

Al

FLBentRider

I would put some bacon on it or above it, and probably only take the IT to 180F.

MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Ninjak

ok thanks so do u have any idea how long i should leave it in cause i work all day and do not want to over kill it .. i was think about 3 hours of smoke and 4 hours of cook for a total of 7 hours but not shur on cooking temp or time

Al

FLBentRider

I have not done one that size. I think deb recently did one that size, I'll see if I can find the thread.

MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

FLBentRider

MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Ninjak

ok thanks for your help 1 more ? should it go on the top shelf or bottom ?

AL

classicrockgriller

Quote from: Ninjak on June 22, 2010, 03:01:42 PM
ok thanks for your help 1 more ? should it go on the top shelf or bottom ?

AL

If you are going to be at work 2nd or 3rd shelf.

I would use third.

that way you avoid the harsh heat.

Ninjak

DTAggie

Third rack as the lowest possibly the fourth if there is no fat cap.  If you are not there to change water after the smoke, make sure the temp does not get above 210* I would suggest or you could find it very dry. 

By the way, Welcome NinjaK

Ninjak

ok looks like i can go home on my lunch hour and switch water bowl out what else should i do ?
it will be 5 hours before i get home for lunch so if i set the smker for 3 hours and the cook time 7 hours on the 3rthd shelf at 180 temp should it be done in 7 hours and would be ok seting in the smoker tell i get home ..

Thanks AL