New Bradley Owner in Fayetteville, NC

Started by abngourmet, June 23, 2010, 09:32:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

abngourmet

New owner here in Fayetteville, NC.  I've got the 6 rack digital smoker, and I've got the cold smoking attachment arriving in a day or two.  I'll season her tomorrow, and will be smoking some cheese this weekend.  Any tips from experienced users for a newbie?  I'm familiar with smoking (I am a student, soon to graduate from the New England Culinary Institute), curing, sausage making, etc., and I have a 600 pound BBQ cooker in my backyard (www.bbqpits.com).  I'd appreciate any Bradley particular tips any experienced users might have.

Thanks,

Alan

DTAggie

Welcome Alan.  Nice to have you here.  Check the cheese link on the forum.  I love doing smoked cheese on my OBS.  Just know it has to sit hidden where no one will find it for at least 14 days.  I personally prefer 60 days.

classicrockgriller

Hiya Alan and Welcome to the forum.

Sounds like you can give us some tips.

Congrats on the 6racker AND soon finish school at New England Culinary Institute.

You might want to check out our FAQ's
http://www.susanminor.org/forums/showthread.php?p=748#post748

recipe site:
http://www.susanminor.org/forums/

Try this link to get your pictures going.
http://www.susanminor.org/forums/showpost.php?p=768&postcount=11

And any questions, just ask.

ArnieM

Hi Alan and welcome to the forum.  They ever smoke anything an NECI or is slicing, dicing and presentation?

We'd all welcome any tips you have.
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

waterkc

Hey Alan, welcome to the forums. Gald to see I am no long the newest, lol.

This is a great place, people are really nice and willing to help.
"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and loose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves. - Abraham Lincoln."

FLBentRider

W E L C O M E  to the Forum abngourmet!

When smoking cheese, you want to keep your temps between 60F and 85F. I know for where I live, that is early morning a few days a year. I'm not sure in NC you can do it this time of year, unless you live at elevation.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

TestRocket

Welcome aboard Alan,

Congrats on about to finish culinary school and we look forward to seeing some of the things you cook.

abngourmet

At NECI we had our own meat fabrication kitchen, and we also made sausage, cured meats, etc.  We had three commercial smokers (two hot smoke, a cold smoker and also an Alto Sham combi-smoker), and we did all kinds of smoked stuff.  My chef-instructor had us play around with some stuff - we smoked salt, cream cheese (very good, BTW), vegetables, meats, butter (not so good), etc.  I'm going to get an F. Dick sausage stuffer so I can make my own sausages as well.  I'll probably end up doing some pates/terrines and smoking those as well just to see how they turn out.

Is there a reason I have to leave the cheese for fourteen days?

Thanks for the warm welcome, and I'll take a look at all the links.

Alan

hal4uk

Welcome to the forum abng!

The cheese continues to absorb/distribute the smoke flavor over time...
No Swine Left Behind KCBS BBQ Team
Peoria Custom Cookers "Meat Monster"
Lang Clone - 'Blue October'
Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex
Backwoods Chubby

classicrockgriller

Yes there is!

IF you don't you may be tasting something like an ashtray!

That is what it has been called.

I never took the chance. I just trusted the guys before me.

Vac seal it if you can. Or at least wrap in tight cello and bag it with as much air pushed out as possible.

Hide it and forget you ever did it. ;D

KevinG

If you eat it right away, it'll probably taste like an ashtray. You need to leave it sit to mellow and blend. If you do smoke cheese, like mentioned it needs to be cool. I've done it here in Az by adding a bunch of ice to the smoker. You'll need enough for about an hours worth of smoke. Some people go longer, but I'd start with that for now that way it wont be too smokey and you can decide for your next attempt if you want it heavier.
Rodney Dangerfield got his material from watching me.
Learn to hunt deer www.lulu.com/mediabyKevinG

ArnieM

In the case of cheese, more (time) is better, even a month or more.  Make notes on what you did and label the cheese.  Put the date on your calendar.

Smoked cream cheese, smoked salmon and some thin sliced red onion on a fresh bagel is great.

If your cabinet temp gets much above 80-85 you could end up with a meltdown - not nice or easy to clean up.

The soft cheeses take on more smoke than the hard cheeses.  If doing both at the same time, pull the soft cheeses early.  Mozzarella is a favorite around here.
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

DTAggie

Alan, read the cheese forum posts.  I suggest longer than a 14-day wait.