Will try brisket this weekend

Started by OTB, June 25, 2010, 01:13:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OTB

Well it is time that I try my hand at brisket.  Going to stop at Smart and Final on the way home and see what they have in the way of packers and report back.

Have been doing a lot of reading and think I will try a hybrid of WTS and a bunch of other folks methods.

Saturday I have an event to go to at 3pm but think I will be home by around 6 or 7, so here is what I was thinking of doing to have it ready by Sunday dinner.

Friday Afternoon - Buy Brisket (of course)

Friday Evening - Mix WTS's rub, trim brisket, rub brisket, then slather with mustard, wrap in plastic wrap and into fridge overnight

Saturday Early Afternoon (before leaving house) - Set up smoker outside so it is all ready to go when I get home

Saturday Evening (probably around 6 or7PM after getting home) - Set out meat while BDS is pre-heating to 250 and after pre-heated, place meat on second from top rack (4 rack smoker), fat side up, and smoke at 220 for 3 hours with oak/mesquite combo
       -I am debating whether I should put foil pan under meat with beer/apple juice etc...not sure

Saturday Night - Figure it will be about 10 or 11PM by the time the smoking is done.  Will place brisket in foil pan with about 1/2 inch of apple juice and low sodium beef stock, cover tightly and insert the temp probe from Auber dual probe PID.  PID will be programed as follows:

C01   220    F    185       
C02   130    t    12.0   hours       
C03  blank           
C04  blank
C05  blank
Co6  blank

Then go to bed.  I figure if it finishes during the night, it will stay warm until I wake up to FTC it.

Any feedback on this pan would be great.  I will post once I pick up the brisket and know what size it is.

FLBentRider

Sounds like a plan.

I would change that second step to 140 or 150F - 130F is technically in the "danger zone"

Depending on the size of the brisket, you are probably looking at an early Sunday afternoon finish.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

OTB

Thanks FL.  150 it is.  I assume the step of placing in a foil pan with liquid will avoid the problems folks have been having with their meat drying out.

TestRocket

OTB

OK.  I got a nice 10 pounder.  It measures in at about 20 inches long though.

I am thinking that is way to long to do the bend-to-fit method.  Especially if I am going to try to put into a foil half sheet pan after 3 hours.

Should I try, or just cut???

FLBentRider

I would try to fit it, but if not, just cut it in half.

MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

BuyLowSellHigh

Sound like a good plan.  A couple of thoughts.  First, if you use the WTS braise method in the closed pan with temp at 220 °F, expect it will be done while you are sleeping.  Both the liquid and the steam in the closed pan transfer heat a lot faster than naked on a rack.  The result is a much faster cook, and while moist it can overcook.  One option would be to drop the temp to maybe 190-200 for the braising portion to help moderate the cooking a bit.

Second thought is on the braising liquid.  I appreciate this will sound crazy, but it is absolutely perfect for a braising finish of a smoked brisket - 3 parts normal Coke (NOT Diet or Cherry or anything else) + 2 parts good (bottled) water is a fantastic braising liquid.  In a large roasting pan a 16 oz bottle of water + 2 12 oz cans of Coke is about perfect.  Sounds weird but works great.  It's commonly used in competition.
I like animals, they taste good!

Visit the Recipe site here

OTB

I added a pic of the brisket.  I will try to fit it in the rack and see what happens.  I will rub it tonight and if I try to fit it in the morning and doesnt fit, I will cut in half and rub the cut ends.

Since I will be braising for most of the cook, I am thinking I probably don't need the mustard...but not sure

I love the idea of using coke for the braising liquid.  I bet Dr. Pepper would be good as well.  I will also do the braising at 200 to be on the safe side.

Thanks.  I will post pics as things go along.

If anyone has any suggestions based upon my timeline or cooking method, please chime in.  This is my first brisket.

FLBentRider

I'd measure it against a smoker rack before you rub it, if there's no way you can bend it to get it on, even with a "hump", then just cut it in half then rub it.

MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

BuyLowSellHigh

You should be able to bend and fit a 10 lb-er into a Bradley rack.  But if it's too long, and you decide to cut in half a great way to do it if you are comfortable with "brisket anatomy" is to separate the point section from the flat by following the fat line between the two with a sharp knife.  That will give you two smaller pieces. A lot of folks do that all the time even when size is not a concern.

TestRocket

FLBentRider

MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

OTB

Was thinking of maybe smoking in the morning before I go to the event.  If I I can fit into the rack and smoke for 3 hours, then leave for another hour or two, then wrap and into the fridge.  Then when I get home put in pan and back into smoker just to braise overnight till 185. 

Would I better off just starting when I get home, about 7pm, setting to smoke for 3 hours, then cook at 220 overnight until morning, then putting into pan for braising?

I think I am over-thinking it at this point....

FLBentRider

Quote from: OTB on June 25, 2010, 07:18:58 PM
Would I better off just starting when I get home, about 7pm, setting to smoke for 3 hours, then cook at 220 overnight until morning, then putting into pan for braising?

I like this one.

MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

BuyLowSellHigh