You all need to check this out

Started by Chez Bubba, June 08, 2005, 01:25:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chez Bubba

I'll move this to either Accessories or New Topics after a couple of days.

Today, I got the first issue of Penzeys One, a magazine that they have started. I was pretty impressed. Lots of recipes, eclectic like me, very nicely done. No ads other than themselves and one for Unicef which I bet was a freeby. And they want to keep it that way. (subscriber based)

I have a warm spot in my heart for Penzeys because when I found them while visiting Milwaukee, they were a small storefront downtown, producing a quality products as a labor of love for the local community. It was pre-dotcom and I was a wanna-be amatuer chef whose only previous exposure to spices is what Durkee offered at the local supermarket.

After discovery, I made several weekend trips to drive back to Milwaukee (6hrs each way) just to buy spices. (Oh, OK, well maybe pick up a case of Sprecher beer too.) Their quality is beyond reproach.

Now, with the internet ablaze, I don't only buy from them, but I do place an order from time to time. If I'm in a town where they have a store, I'll stop in & drop a C-note. From a convenience standpoint, some of the basics can be covered by Sam's Club, but if you plan ahead, they can come pretty close in price if you order bulk & will sure as hell beat Sam's in flavor.

6 issues per year. 1 year $19.95, 2 years $36.95, 3 years $49.95. Add $16.00 for Canada or $24.00 for foreign per year.

www.penzeys.com
www.penzysone.com
(800) 741-7787

BTW, I get nothing for this, I'd just like to see them succeed. Great company, great product in both the spices & magazine.

2nd BTW, the first issue had a segment on smoked turkey & they used a Brinkman water smoker.[xx(] I'm already writing the letter in my head!!![;)][:D][:D]

Kirk

http://www.chezbubba.com
Ya think next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non?" they would mind?
http://www.brianswish.com
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?

Kummok

Other than the water smoker thang, looks like a great addition to Old's "Vendors" list![:p][:p]

35 years of extinguishing smoking stuff and now I'm wondering WHY!
Kummok @ Homer, AK USA

Chez Bubba

They're already there. My earlier suggestion.

Kirk

Ya think next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non?" they would mind?
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?

Oldman

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">They're already there. My earlier suggestion.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">I'm glad it is as the recipe downloadable is done. I expect it will be six months before I update it.

Olds

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

Billmurphy

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Chez Bubba</i>
<br />I'll move this to either Accessories or New Topics after a couple of days.

Today, I got the first issue of Penzeys One, a magazine that they have started. I was pretty impressed. Lots of recipes, eclectic like me, very nicely done. No ads other than themselves and one for Unicef which I bet was a freeby. And they want to keep it that way. (subscriber based)

I have a warm spot in my heart for Penzeys because when I found them while visiting Milwaukee, they were a small storefront downtown, producing a quality products as a labor of love for the local community. It was pre-dotcom and I was a wanna-be amatuer chef whose only previous exposure to spices is what Durkee offered at the local supermarket.

After discovery, I made several weekend trips to drive back to Milwaukee (6hrs each way) just to buy spices. (Oh, OK, well maybe pick up a case of Sprecher beer too.) Their quality is beyond reproach.

Now, with the internet ablaze, I don't only buy from them, but I do place an order from time to time. If I'm in a town where they have a store, I'll stop in & drop a C-note. From a convenience standpoint, some of the basics can be covered by Sam's Club, but if you plan ahead, they can come pretty close in price if you order bulk & will sure as hell beat Sam's in flavor.

6 issues per year. 1 year $19.95, 2 years $36.95, 3 years $49.95. Add $16.00 for Canada or $24.00 for foreign per year.

www.penzeys.com
www.penzysone.com
(800) 741-7787

BTW, I get nothing for this, I'd just like to see them succeed. Great company, great product in both the spices & magazine.

2nd BTW, the first issue had a segment on smoked turkey & they used a Brinkman water smoker.[xx(] I'm already writing the letter in my head!!![;)][:D][:D]

Kirk

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Billmurphy

I need the phone number for Chez Bubba the we3b site is down.

Billmurphy

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Billmurphy</i>
<br />I need the phone number for Chez Bubba the we3b site is down.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">nevermind I got the website up with Internet Explorer.
on my way to what sounds like the best smoker according to you guys.
Can't wait!

eightball

Kirk, WOW, The mag has a recipe fo chocolate soup, spaghetti and smoked brisket  .... Wheeew!
I think we have a winner.
[8]

JJC

Welcome to the Forum, Bill!  Great to have a Maniac on board!  I'll be in Maine for the weekend (Acton, on Balch Lake, right on the NH border about 50 miles north of Kittery and 50 miles west of Portland.

John
Newton MA
John
Newton MA

nsxbill

I did the three year, and got the first mag the other day.  Great recommendation!

Bill

<i>There is room on earth for all God's creatures....on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.</i>
There is room on earth for all God's creatures....right on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.

nsxbill

Phoneguy,

It is really sad that you feel that way.

Bill

<i>There is room on earth for all God's creatures....on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.</i>
There is room on earth for all God's creatures....right on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.

Habanero Smoker

I have been buying my spices from Penzeys for about a year now. Today I received their premiere issue, that they sent me for free. After reading most of the articles and reviewing the recipes, I have to say this one is a winner. I'm subscribing for three years.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Chez Bubba

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Phone Guy</i>
<br />I canceled after the first issue. I just don't think a "cooking magazine" that I subscribe to should have a big article on a Gay couple. I am pro Children all the way, I just happen to have two great kids myself but my personal convictions do not agree with that lifestyle. Other than that it looks like a good magazine.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
PG,

I didn't thoroughly read it, but in skimming, never even noticed that fact. I'm sorry that that little detail has skewed your view of the publication as a whole.

It is a food magazine, about food, not lifestyles. It's not like they want to babysit your kids. I don't agree with that lifestyle either, & trust me, I'm one of the most un-PC people around, but so what?

Ya gonna tell me you don't watch TV or listen to radio because some of the actors/directors/producers are gay?

Again, my convictions say that is wrong, I can accept your convictions, but I also accept others' convictions. None of us will know the truth until we're dead.

I think you're missing out on a great info source.

The-happily-married-to-a-beautiful-woman-Kirk[:)]

nsxbill

I think this is a perfect example of open mouth insert foot.  <i>(It is in response to post that has now been deleted)</i>

I am not gay, I do have many gay friends and acquantances, which I work with daily, and consider friends.  I have no desire to jump their bones, or do they mine.

It is hard to believe, in this day and age, that people are unable to look past color, gender and sexual preference, and the other things that make us unique.  

Gosh, where did I finally have this revelation.  

As part of the job advocating and legally representing patients as their advocate in the state hospital system, during my tenure as the Title 9 Advocate in California, I attended a workshop in Beverly Hills put by a PhD type on the rights of the sexually oppressed.

One of the things covered was the basis for the feeling people have about "spilling of the seed" in other way then procreating children.  Given that the Bible was written by historians who were being chased accross the desert by a ruler trying to wipe out their race, I can certainly understand it.  I think things have changed.  I will leave it up to you folks who are into the Bible to describe the teachings there.  

Making up one's mind to exclude or think less of someone because of their sexual orientation, color, et al really just illustrates how small people can be.

I don't mean to offend you, but I find this thinking offensive.  When I hear antiquated biased and descriminatory statements expressed in a public forum that deviate from what I feel is life's reality, I first try to be very diplomatic, and just say I am sorry you feel that way.  

I have no apology for you about writing this here.  

I would not enjoy my life without the diversity of different people, different lifestyles, religious beliefs and don't feel I want to limit my horizons in any way.  I tend to want to look beyond what I see, and rely on what I feel after I meet someone, talk with them, trust them and hope they trust me.  

Isn't that what being a Christian is all about?  Isn't that the trust you want passed on to your children?  

It is the lesson I think is the most important one, and one in-line with all the other teachings that are passed on to us in religious teachings and descriptions of civilizations that have succeeded to date.

I am sorry you feel the way you do.

Bill

Phone Guy

I wrote a long response but I have decided to delete all of my previous post related to this topic. But I need to say that You are wrong about the Bible. It never changes. There is still only one way to get to Heaven. Nobody is excluded.