Battle Pork Rub -- the winner is....

Started by Smokeville, June 23, 2010, 06:38:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smokeville

Well, I've had quite a few days.....

On Thursday I smoked four 4lb butts rubbed with one of the rubs in the susanminor forum... the rub that has celery salt in it. I put them in the smoker at 8am with apple and cherry woods intermixed and by mid-afternoon they looked like they were dying. I mopped them a bit but soon wrapped them up in foil and transferred them to the oven at 210F. Well, after 2 hours the internal temperature actually dropped by numerous degrees and I was getting worried because each time I took the temperature I made another hole for juice to escape.... not that there was very much which got me even more worried. I figured these were going to be bone dry if they ever reached 190F.

So I took them out of the foil and left all 4 in the roasting pan with some cider vinegar and put up the heat and by 8pm that night they were very juicy and actually pulled very nicely. It was like watching the desert blossom.

I was doing these for some good friends who are having an engagement party for their son this afternoon....... so I was seriously thankful.

As backup, Thursday afternoon I had run out to one of the local Chinese superstores which had picnics on sale for .88c/lb. I figured if the butts bombed I had enough time for a second chance.

I didn't need the picnics but, well, they were there looking at me so I put the Salt Lick rub on them Thursday night and smoked them Friday. They turned out pretty darn good.

When our friends picked up their pulled pork we were able to try both, and we all agreed that the Salt Lick clone was the best. The main comment was that it was a bit sharper because of more pepper.

Now I've got 10lb of pulled pork ready to eat. Won't last long. And, I had enough left over Salt Lick clone to do a brisket that I had defrosted to smoke today for church tomorrow (we eat a lot of smoked sandwiches at church) so we shall see how it works on beef.

With relief, Rich

FLBentRider

The butts I just put in FTC with the salt lick, I had to clean off those screens, that bark has some bite!
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

squirtthecat

Ditto!   I've done about 50-60 pounds worth with the SLC.   Good stuff.

Smokeville

FYI the Salt Lick rub worked well on the brisket too. At first it seemed way too salty but when put into a nice warm Portuguese bun with some home made sauce it was quite delightful!

BuyLowSellHigh

Recently, after trying so many rubs over the years, I have come to a clear favorite that works well on about all smoked meats (beef, pork and chicken too) - 3 parts by volume McCormick Montreal Steak Seasoning + 1 part brown or Turbinado sugar.
I like animals, they taste good!

Visit the Recipe site here

Smokeville

Quote from: BuyLowSellHigh on June 27, 2010, 10:47:37 AM
Recently, after trying so many rubs over the years, I have come to a clear favorite that works well on about all smoked meats (beef, pork and chicken too) - 3 parts by volume McCormick Montreal Steak Seasoning + 1 part brown or Turbinado sugar.

You can buy that seasoning in bulk quantities at most bulk food stores. It won't be exactly McCormick's or Keg (here in Canada) but it will be close.