Suggestions Please on Smoking a Sugar Cured Ham

Started by waterkc, June 26, 2010, 10:47:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

waterkc

Hey Gents, So I am wondering if some of you have a suggestion for how to do a Sugar Cured Ham. I have ordered a Ham Hook from Butcher Packer, so it will be here this week. I am just wondering what to do with the ham? Recipe wise what would be good? What type of Wood to hit it with first thing that comes to mind is Apple, but I was thinking that maybe something like Pecan would be cool also.

Any help would be great.

Thanks
"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and loose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves. - Abraham Lincoln."

FLBentRider

Are you going to cure your own ham (from fresh pork) or smoke an already cured ham?
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

waterkc

Sorry that was not clear I guess. I have a Va Sugar Cured Ham, that I want to now smoke. So its already sugar cured, and I want to smoke it. So should I hit it with some sort of marinade or just rub it, kinda lost.
"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and loose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves. - Abraham Lincoln."

ArnieM

Quote from: FLBentRider on June 26, 2010, 11:13:24 AM
Are you going to cure your own ham (from fresh pork) or smoke an already cured ham?

I think "Sugar Cured" answers your question FLB  ;D

I might put 2-3 hours of maple on it at a cabinet temp of 200 or so until the IT hits about 145.
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

waterkc

So no real need to season it then, just let it go as it is?

squirtthecat

Quote from: waterkc on June 26, 2010, 11:52:37 AM
So no real need to season it then, just let it go as it is?

I've done a couple cheap shank hams from the store, and I pat them dry (as dry as you can, since they are packed in water) and put some mustard or EVOO and a light rub on it.  Nothing too salty.

Makes for some awesome smoked ham and beans...

ArnieM

If the ham has skin on, score it.  Cook fat side up.

I'm with squirt on the "no salt" thing.  If you really want a glaze, I'd use brown sugar or maple syrup and dry mustard.  I'd wait until the IT was up to about 110 before putting it on or you'll have a really black ham.

I mentioned an IT of 145.  That's assuming the ham is cooked.  If not, I'd go for 155-160.

The ham has a lot of water so keep the vent wide open to get rid of the moisture.
-- Arnie

BuyLowSellHigh

Need some more details on that ham.  All of the Virgina sugar cured hams I know of are the mild versions of country hams that are fully cured and most commonly hickory smoked.  Can you tell us a bit more about the ham, like where did it come from, are there any cooking instructions, etc.?
I like animals, they taste good!

Visit the Recipe site here

waterkc

He Lads,

So the ham is from Blacksburg Va, it stated that it was a Sugar Cured Air Dried (aka no smoking), still has the skin on it, weights about 15 - 18 lbs. Only instructions are to wash ham and scrub with a brush, trim any mold off and soak for 24 hours in cold water. Then Pretty much do with it what ya like.

I am thinking the maple and mustard sounds good. Maybe with some Garlic\Onion type stuff, maybe.

Thanks

squirtthecat

Ok, that is a 'country ham'.  Just with sugar added to the cure to mask the saltiness..

waterkc

OK cool, got it country ham, any suggestion on marinade?

I am thinking that Maybe Mojo might be good, get some beans, rice etc, O man.

BuyLowSellHigh

Does it by chance say "fully cooked" or anything similar ? Can you give us the brand?  Is it Turner by chance ( they are one of the few producers on that side of the state)?

Without any more information and based on your description of skin on and the scrub instruction my guess is you have a fully cured but uncooked ham.  If so, that thing needs to be cooked to an IT of ~ 160 °F.  Traditionally the cooking (either braise or bake) is done skin on, then remove the skin and glaze.  The most common method from the region to braise it to an IT of ~ 160, then glaze.  If you want to smoke/bake it you surely can do that, but you will probably want to soak it a bit before smoking.  Since nobody knows what the cure is (was) it's hard to say how long you should soak.   Bake/smoke/cook at ~ 250 to an IT of 160-165. You might consider a scrub, braise, trim to remove the skin and excess fat, then smoke/glaze for flavor. 

ArnieM

This is just my opinion - did one of those once; expensive.

I'd soak for 48 hours in a cooler with ice.  Change the water twice a day.  Yeah, it's a pain.

It's a quality ham.  I would not use any marinade.

You said it's skin on.  Score it.  From Alton Brown, get a clean utility knife.  Set the blade out about 1/4 inch.  That will get you through the skin and into the fat but not into the meat.

Put your rub/paste on when you think you have another half hour or so to go.

I'll be curious to see how this goes.
-- Arnie

waterkc

So I am going to try to find out more about it, I didn't see anything that stated fully cooked. So I am going to assume that it needs some cooking. I think I will put it on in the Morning and smoke it for a long time. Its been soaking in the sink for almost 24 hours. So Once I get that all dried off and scored I will send some pick's. I am going to read the bag it came in again, but I am sure it said nothing about being fully cooked.

Thanks guys.

BuyLowSellHigh

You're probably right - if it was cooked it would say so on the bag.  If you've been soaking for 24 hrs it has been well soaked - pull it, dry it, and keep refrigerated until ready to cook.  Traditionally, smoking is done with the skin on and intact.  The smoke won't penetrate very much, but that's typical.  If you score the skin, be prepared to deal with removing all the little pieces when done.  Then after the smoking/cooking to IT 160, then glaze it.  Should be good!