Suggestions Please on Smoking a Sugar Cured Ham

Started by waterkc, June 26, 2010, 10:47:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

classicrockgriller

Should be some Pig Candy when you are done.

I'm watchin also.

Love it!

waterkc

Alrighty then, Ham is smoked baby.

So I got my hooks and such from butcher packer yesterday. I then picked up some cotton string to make a noose, preheated the DBS to 260° and preheated the smoker generator, put in my new 13x9 water pan full of water.

Now into the house to get that piggy tie'd up and on a hook. Once that was done, umm yeah how the hell am I going to hang this thing. O yeah I got some hardwood chairs that are trashed, steal a back slat and make a hanger.  ;) ok check. DBS setup, ham ready, smoke-genny, water pan, temp probe, ok all good to go.

10:30PM PDT set him in DBS and set the temp to DBS to 220° smoke-genny to 5 hours (with Maple) and DBS to 9:40hrs @ 220°. Got up at 3:30 to a lot of smoke (  :o ), o man the pucks piled up in the water pan and was still smoking a bit. shook the pan and its all good. whew. Went to work at 5:00am and checked the Piggy, right at 160°. Shut off smoker left in cabinet, wife will get it for me at 7:00 and put in fridge. When I get home I will clean the ham and make a nice sweet and spicy glaze for it, put it on the grill for about 20 mins then crave up and enjoy with some friends this weekend.

Here is how it looked at 0500hrs PDT (approximately 5 hours of smoke and 7 to 8 hours of total temp)

Will report how it taste's

Thanks for all the help.
"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and loose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves. - Abraham Lincoln."

Caneyscud

That is a feast waiting to happen!!  That looks mawvelous!
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

BuyLowSellHigh

I like animals, they taste good!

Visit the Recipe site here

TestRocket

Very nice looking ham and good use of a broken chair too!

FLBentRider

Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

waterkc

ok so one question I didn't ask. How do I dress this monster now that its done? Remove the skin I would assume but if some one could enlighten me that would be great.

Thanks
"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and loose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves. - Abraham Lincoln."

BuyLowSellHigh

That's about t - remove the skin, trim excess fat (leave a bit all over), then glaze.  For glazing you can do the diamond cross cuts in the fat and then stud with closes. If you want real fancy, you an add pineapple slices on the top as part of the glazing.  Now that it's cooked it's mostly decorative with the glazing adding a flavor accent, like the bark on barbecue.

TestRocket

All I can add to what BLSH said is to "slice and eat"! Maybe add a cherry to the center of each pineapple slice so the PICS have a little more color?  ;D That ham looks yummy!

waterkc

So that is the ticket I am all over it. Thanks fella's Picks to follow.

FLBentRider

I think BLSH meant Cloves instead of "closes"
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

classicrockgriller

Quote from: FLBentRider on June 30, 2010, 07:14:02 PM

If He is kin to Arnie ..... He meant closes! ;D

ArnieM

Quote from: classicrockgriller on June 30, 2010, 07:19:18 PM
Quote from: FLBentRider on June 30, 2010, 07:14:02 PM

If He is kin to Arnie ..... He meant closes! ;D

I do not put put "closes" on my ham.  They're seriously hard to find these days.

But, maybe Eric IS my long lost brother.  Between him and cousin Quarlow I'd have a FAMILY.  What a dreadful interesting idea.
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

BuyLowSellHigh

I did mean cloves, thanks FLBR.

In Arnie's case it would be clothes, or more exactly her clothes, probably after removing them from the fan (remember Arnie, we have pictures). I just can't figure out how he "studs" a ham with them, but that's one of those things I don't want to know.

CRG, I thought we were friends.  Guess that shows what happens when I think.

classicrockgriller

Quote from: BuyLowSellHigh on June 30, 2010, 10:27:23 PM
I did mean cloves, thanks FLBR.

In Arnie's case it would be clothes, or more exactly her clothes, probably after removing them from the fan (remember Arnie, we have pictures). I just can't figure out how he "studs" a ham with them, but that's one of those things I don't want to know.

CRG, I thought we were friends.  Guess that shows what happens when I think.

;D ;D ;D I said "IF"  ... please check on the Cabrito! I'll use spell check next time. ;D