Freezing briskets

Started by GusRobin, June 27, 2010, 10:26:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GusRobin

Picked up a number of packers at the Target sale (see post in the Hot Deal section). So I am going to freeze them for a while. Should I leave them in the cryovac they came in or should I open and vac seal them.
Should I "age" them in the cryovac before I freeze them?
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

Smokeville

I do that all the time and I just freeze them in the cryovac. So far as I know, the cryovac is vacuum sealed anyway. Make sure there are no holes first. They will easily keep for a year without freezer burn ---- what am I saying? Who could keep them for a year without smoking them!!

Smokeville

And, when you need to do an emergency defrost, put them in a big stock pot under running cold water and they will defrosts in about 4-6 hours.

GusRobin

Didn't see any holes, so i popped it in the freezer. The Target sale is going on all week, I may be loading up each day if they have decent ones in the bin. So I may end up with some frozen for a while. Of course I am going to have to find room in the freezer. ;D
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

Smokeville

How much per lb are they? And where in the US do you live? I could make a quick trip to Niagara Falls.......

GusRobin

They are $0.99 a lb; I live in Northern Alabama and the sale is good until the 1st of July.

BuyLowSellHigh

Just checked the nearest Super Target in our area - SE TX - and they aren't offering that special.
I like animals, they taste good!

Visit the Recipe site here

Smokeville

Quote from: GusRobin on June 27, 2010, 04:10:05 PM
They are $0.99 a lb; I live in Northern Alabama and the sale is good until the 1st of July.

That's amazing! Best I've ever seen is $1.89/lb at a Wal-Mart superstore.

At that price I would buy one and smoke it right away to test and if all is well go back and buy a freezer load.

GusRobin

Don't see a need to test. It is labeled "Choice", plus can always make pastrami out of it. I never had a bad pastrami made from a brisket regardless of the grade of meat.

DTAggie

I will go check Dallas area Targets tomorrow.