NePA Smokeout II Cheesecake (Bourbon Pecan Cheesecake)

Started by deb415611, June 27, 2010, 11:44:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

deb415611

NePA Smokeout II Cheesecake (Bourbon Pecan Cheesecake)

Note - I'm putting some comments down below based on changes I made for the NEPAS III smokeout

I'm going to post it as I did it but will put my notes in as to what I will do different next time

Before you start:  
-    Preheat pellet grill or oven to 350 degrees
-   Wrap foil on bottom and up the sides of a of 9" spring-form pan (outside of pan).  This is to keep water from getting inside pan while in water bath.
-   Butter the bottom & insides of pan

Crust:
12 oz oreos
6 oz melted butter - I did not measure but I used less than this, probably more like 4 oz
Throw in food processor until finely ground
Spread in 9" cheesecake pan on bottom & about ½ way up sides
(the recipe that I modeled this after called for 16 oz of oreos and it was too much,  12 oz may even be too much but should be closer)

Filling:
24 oz cream cheese, room temperature
1 cup granulated sugar
3 Tablespoons cornstarch
2 large eggs
2/3 cup heavy cream
1 tablespoon vanilla
1½ tablespoons bourbon doubled this for the NEPAS III one, double is better
Place 8 oz of cream cheese in mixer bowl with 1/3 of sugar & cornstarch -  mix until smooth & creamy.  Add another 8 oz cream cheese & beat until smooth, then add remaining cream cheese beating until smooth.   Scrape with spatula often.   Then mix in the rest of the sugar , bourbon & vanilla.  Add eggs one at a time beating well after each one.  Add the heavy cream and mix just until smooth (do not over mix)
Pour batter into the prepared crust.

Topping (baked on topping) (this is where I will make the major change – I will omit this entire step next time)  this sank to bottom this time, I will not use this any longer
3 large eggs, beaten
1/3 cup granulated sugar
1/3 cup brown sugar
8 tsp corn syrup (I used dark corn syrup)
2 tablespoons bourbon
½ tsp vanilla
1/8 tsp salt
¾ cup rough chopped pecans (I used smoked pecans)

Mix all together except pecans.  Sprinkle pecans on top of cheesecake batter.  Pour topping over cheesecake batter.  
(I don't think this added anything to the cheesecake,  I will do without this baked on topping when I do again.   This topping browned too fast,  I covered with foil but the cheesecake was too high and the topping stuck to the foil making for a bad presentation.  Later I decided to do the topping below that is just spooned on the cheesecake while serving)

Place in pan big enough to hold spring-form pan – I use a roasting pan.  Pour boiling water in the roasting pan to come up about ½ way up the spring-form pan.  

Bake at 350 degrees for 75 minutes until the top just barely jiggles (It took about 20 minutes longer in the Traeger due to temperature fluctuations).    Carefully take pan out of water-bath and put on cooling rack.  Let cool for 2 hours in pan.  After 2 hours put in fridge until totally chilled (I usually a night or two ahead).  

Caramel, bourbon, pecan topping (I missed getting a picture of this):

Jar of caramel ice cream topping (I used Mrs. Richardsons caramel butterscotch , I think it's probably 20 oz jar)
2 Tablespoons bourbon (or enough to thin it out enough to be able to spoon over cheesecake)
Chopped pecans (I used smoked pecans)

Mix all together .    Serve over chilled cheesecake slices.  

some of the ingredients:

prepping the pecans (smoked with pecan pellets)

the crust & foil wrapped pan

the batter in the pan

prepping the topping (I'll skip this in the future)

in the Traeger ;D

45 minute mark

cooling

classicrockgriller

That is just beautiful!

You stated you will skip the topping in the future?

deb415611

Quote from: classicrockgriller on June 27, 2010, 11:55:55 AM
That is just beautiful!

You stated you will skip the topping in the future?

Yes , I will skip the baked on topping (the beaten eggs, sugars) - I'll do just the crust & regular cheesecake batter.  So it will be just a bourbon cheesecake and the nuts will just be in the caramel topping.

I hope I just didn't confuse everyone more ??? 

deb415611

maybe I'll do some candied bourbon pecans and do a layer in the middle of the cheesecake.  I think this will be an ongoing project

classicrockgriller

ronbeaux

That looks incredible! I have got to try that soon! :P :P :P
The fight isn't over until the winner says it is.

pensrock

DarqMan

Cheesecake with heavy cream?  This is my kind of dessert Deb.  I want to try this.  I love making cheesecakes and this recipe sounds wonderful. Thank you for posting it.
Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID, Traeger Texas BBQ075, Traeger Junior BBQ055, Bubba Keg with Stoker

New car, caviar, four star daydream, think I'll buy me a football team.

Quarlow

OMG Deb I knew you were up to something awesome but this looks above and beyond. Nice job.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

DTAggie

KevinG

Quote from: DTAggie on June 27, 2010, 08:18:40 PM
OK who will tackle that for the Texas smokeout?

Fly me up and back, and I'll take care of it for you.  ;D
Rodney Dangerfield got his material from watching me.
Learn to hunt deer www.lulu.com/mediabyKevinG

deb415611

I put some comments in above based on changes I made when making the NEPAS III smokeout cheesecake.  If you have it printed you may want to look at the notes.

ghost9mm

Thanks Deb...we appreciate the recipe and we will make good use of it...haven't figured out how to make one with no calories...lol. :D
Digital Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
The Big Easy with Srg grill
MAK 2 Star General
Char Broil gas grill

KyNola

hal4uk

Deb... I don't mean to pry into your circumstances, but, are you by any chance, in need of ADOPTION?   ;D
No Swine Left Behind KCBS BBQ Team
Peoria Custom Cookers "Meat Monster"
Lang Clone - 'Blue October'
Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex
Backwoods Chubby