Remote Temperature probe

Started by n4khq, June 27, 2010, 07:18:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

n4khq

I bought a meat thermometer, digital with remote probe from wal-mart. The instructions say do not place unite or wire on hot surfaces, oven or grills. The wire connecting the probe looks like plastic. Can I thread the probe through the vent or do I need to order the bradley thermometer?

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Taylor-Weekend-Warrior-Remote-Probe-Digital-Meat-Thermometer-and-Timer-808/7755626
Thanks

GusRobin

The product description says:
"You'll have remote control over your meat when you use this Taylor Weekend Warrior Digital Meat Thermometer and Timer, which reads the temperature of the meat from outside your grill or oven. Insert the stainless-steel probe into the meat, run the rubber-covered probe wire out of the cooking chamber and plug it into the thermometer."

So I guess it should be okay to run it in the chamber. I would run it out the front and shut the door on it. In another thread CRG makes the point that running it thru the top allows the possibility that moisture could condense and run down the wire and possibly screw up the probe.
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

watchdog56

I would think it would be ok to run it out your vent holes. That is where I run my PID wire and it is plastic coated.

lumpy

Quote from: watchdog56 on June 28, 2010, 06:50:57 AM
I would think it would be ok to run it out your vent holes. That is where I run my PID wire and it is plastic coated.

I do the same thing.

Lumpy

BlackBark

I have a Weekend Warrior and run it through the vent with zero issues. It is a very good thermometer.

Habanero Smoker

I just getting around to reading this. By definition, the Taylor thermometer that is linked to your post is not a remote. A remote thermometer is one that has a wireless receiver and you can read the temperatures from a handheld receiver some distance away from the smoker (oven). The thermometer you linked is classified as a wired probe (oven cord) thermometer. You can read the temperatures outside the smoker (oven), but the display unit is attached to the probe.

The below link gives a description of the various types of thermometers (look in the section titled "Food Thermometers"):
When Is Meat Done?

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Uncle Pigfat

Quote from: BlackBark on July 06, 2010, 02:42:35 PM
I have a Weekend Warrior and run it through the vent with zero issues. It is a very good thermometer.

I have this one as well and it works great. No issues with the wire.