Kurobuta Pork

Started by ramze12, June 28, 2010, 11:02:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ramze12

I came across a friend who was telling me about Kurobuta Pork Shoulder he order online. Has anyone ever tired this type of Pork?

He mentioned to me that it was nearly 18 lbs when he received it.

It seemed fairly $$$ but if I was to go ahead and try this, how much smoke time would any of you recommend for a piece this big?

squirtthecat

I think Kurobuta is to pork what Kobe is to beef...

Pricey, but a delicacy.

classicrockgriller

waterkc

Holly Cripe that is some expensive stuff. I tell ya you put them side to side with the same type cooking bet you can't tell the difference. I was always under the impression that smoking meat was to make some what lacking meat edible. Yes\No? Low and slow to get the connective tissue to break down, release etc. Anyways, man that is some way pricey pig. Let us know how it turns out.
"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and loose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves. - Abraham Lincoln."

deb415611

Quote from: waterkc on June 28, 2010, 01:23:59 PM
Holly Cripe that is some expensive stuff. I tell ya you put them side to side with the same type cooking bet you can't tell the difference.

You can definately tell the difference.  I haven't tried the online farm but have bought local berkshire(same pig, different name).   Flavor is better, it's richer.    The best pork butt I have ever had.  Chops are really good too.  I have even had some sausage that they make.  That reminds me - I have a Berkshire butt in the freezer - might be a good smoke for July 4th. 

I think someone has ordered form snakeriverfarms - Ronbeaux maybe?   Arnie has had the same local berkshire that I have had. 

BuyLowSellHigh

STC has it dead on.  I tried both a couple of weeks ago and the difference in a pork butt was not as profound as the difference in Wagyu and CAB USDA Choice briskets.  If you intend to pull a pork butt, then I feel that Kurobuta is probably wasted.  I haven't tried it but I suspect the loin would show a greater difference.  For my taste, after having tried it, I wouldn't spend the extra for the pork shoulder, but I will for the brisket for special occasions (I expect to be doing a Wagyu brisket this coming weekend for the 4th, Alex permitting).
I like animals, they taste good!

Visit the Recipe site here

waterkc

all I can say is wow, that is some pricey meat.
"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and loose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves. - Abraham Lincoln."

BuyLowSellHigh

Kurobuta pork (aka Berkshire pork) You can order online from Snake River Farms here ; online price for a whole shoulder is ~ $2.90/lb plus shipping, which will be next day air (meaning expensive).  If you decide to do that, you might consider splitting the whole shoulder into a butt and picnic (which I am assuming is how the beast arrives at an average of 20 lbs/ea).

As an alternative, you might try to find a local meat supplier who carries a line of better meats who will sell to you. 
I like animals, they taste good!

Visit the Recipe site here

hal4uk

I ordered one.
W/Shipping it was $83 for a whole Berkshire pork shoulder.
(approximately 20lbs) ---- about $4/lb to my front door.

If it ain't worth it, I won't buy it again.  But, I just have to find out for myself.

Check the price/weight of CHEETOS at your local grocer,...
We'll see.  Maybe it's worth it, and maybe it ain't.  But, It's much cheaper than Cheetos.   ;D

Awrighten.

No Swine Left Behind KCBS BBQ Team
Peoria Custom Cookers "Meat Monster"
Lang Clone - 'Blue October'
Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex
Backwoods Chubby

classicrockgriller

Wish you the best Hal.

I ain't paying $4 lb for pig.

I got my pride! ;D

squirtthecat

Cheaper Than Cheetos!  I love it...

Way way way cheaper than beef jerky, that's for sure.

FLBentRider

If I do one, and this does intrigue me, I would do it alongside a "regular" pork shoulder for comparison pruposes...
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

SnellySmokesEm

Quote from: FLBentRider on July 23, 2010, 05:33:56 AM
If I do one, and this does intrigue me, I would do it alongside a "regular" pork shoulder for comparison pruposes...

FLB - If you decide to smoke one I'm heading that way so I can put my 2 cents in....
Is it bad if my wife refers to the smoker as "The Mistress"?
MasterBuilt Electric Smokehouse
Charbroil Red 4 Burner With Auto Clean
Big Easy Smoker Roaster Grill
BBQ Evangelist

hal4uk

Ordered it Wednesday, and it was on the porch this morning.  In the freezer for the time being...
(The heat index is 111 here right now)
No Swine Left Behind KCBS BBQ Team
Peoria Custom Cookers "Meat Monster"
Lang Clone - 'Blue October'
Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex
Backwoods Chubby

squirtthecat