Syracuse Salt Potatoes - Again

Started by ArnieM, June 28, 2010, 07:28:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ArnieM

I love these things.  You can find the recipe here from Habs:  http://www.susanminor.org/forums/showthread.php?553-Syracuse-Salt-Potatoes

If you haven't tried this before, TRY it!

My daughter's 'cross the street neighbor has a sizable garden.  The lady dug up some new red potatoes ranging in size from nickel to golf ball and gave about a dozen to my daughter.

My daughter called and asked "What do I do with these?"  I sent her the link above. 

I'll just leave it at a bunch of WOW comments.  Again, credit to Habanero Smoker. 
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

Gizmo

That was a big mistake Arnie,
You will never see a fresh garden spud from her now.   :'(
Since you lost your chance, you may want to warn your daughter not to tell her neighbor.  If her neighbor tries them, your daughter will never see another one.   ;D

They are creamy and dreamy. 
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

classicrockgriller

If you can find a Farmers Mkt, you can get those bite size dream balls.

If you have a store that offers red spuds in a bag for crayfish boils, bring a knife

with you to the store and "Mix and Match" till you get the size you want.

The chance of being caught is worth it. ;D  (I've only done it once)

Habanero Smoker

I agree with Giz. She is never going to share her potato crop with you again.

I can't take the credit for that recipe, but I will definitely take credit for sharing it. ;D I found that recipe in an article published in Cook's Country. When I would go to the State Fair in Syracuse, NY I would eat these until I could not move. I never knew how they were cooked until I read that article.

Red new potatoes work great, but if you can find the Baby Yukon golds - a little expensive; they are beyond belief.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Wildcat

I agree as well. Best taters I've ever had.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

RossP

We get lots of little Yukon Golds up here in Canada ;D
Had some last night. Now is the season for little new
taters and done up as Syracuse Salt taters is
the best way to go. It is the only way the missus
wants me to do taters now. ;)
Original Bradley Smoker
Cold Smoker Attachment
Teal Termapen

FLBentRider

Best thing to happen to potatoes since dirt.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

GusRobin

I grew up in upstate new york (Rome, NY-about 40 miles from Syracuse) and we just called them salt potatoes. The small yellow yukon potatoes were the best.
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

Smoking Duck

I grew up in Utica NY and now list Habs as a major hero in my life for introducing me to them.  It's a huge bonus cause good taters puts Momma in a good mood.  Habs has made my marriage a little stronger  ;D

Steeler....she's a keeper!

Who doesn't love lab puppies?

Click here for my blog: La Cosa Smokestra

GusRobin

Smokingduck -  small world, I grew up in Rome, NY. Lived their until 1976 (was 23 when I left), moved to Los Angeles until 2000 then moved to Alabama. How long you live in the area?
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

Smoking Duck

Was born there (New Hartford) lived in Utica until was the tender age of 6.  Moved to Pittsburgh (greatest sports town in the world) where I lived until I graduated from high school.  Lived in Ohio, Maryland, North Dakota, Indiana and now Michigan.  Spent a ton of time in Alabama (mmmmm, sweet tea) as well as Texas.  Pittsburgh will always be home but I love living next to Lake Michigan and will probably stay here the rest of my life.

Steeler....she's a keeper!

Who doesn't love lab puppies?

Click here for my blog: La Cosa Smokestra

hal4uk

I read the recipe (and Hab's explanation of why it works so well) and wuz just ready to go buy some taters...
When MrsD said she wuz hungry --- like NOW.  Slapped a NY Strip on the grill, and had sliced homegrown tomatoes and corn on the cob with it.

Not that dinner wasn't exceptional... But, I gotta try these taters sometime soon!

No Swine Left Behind KCBS BBQ Team
Peoria Custom Cookers "Meat Monster"
Lang Clone - 'Blue October'
Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex
Backwoods Chubby

classicrockgriller

Hal, seriously!

They are very much worth the effort to make.

Have done them 3 times and there is always a hush at the table when they are served.

Everybody's mouth is full!

The smaller the red taters, the better.

BTW, I like the way you feed MrsD. My kinda meal.

hal4uk

Quote from: classicrockgriller on July 05, 2010, 11:25:42 PM
Have done them 3 times and there is always a hush at the table when they are served.
Awrighten!  I plan to do them tomorrow night!
No Swine Left Behind KCBS BBQ Team
Peoria Custom Cookers "Meat Monster"
Lang Clone - 'Blue October'
Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex
Backwoods Chubby

Wildcat

I grilled steaks (over charcoal and hard wood fire) for the crowd on 4th. Wife made Syracuse Salt Potatoes, and guests brought everything else. For most, this was their first taste of taters fixed this way. I did not get as many as I wanted and everyone wanted to know how to make them.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/