Newbie Needs Help with Brisket

Started by alliecat61, June 30, 2010, 05:23:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alliecat61

I have had my Bradley about a month.  In this time, I have smoked pork, chicken, trout, and salmon.  Everything so far has turned out great.  I love my Bradley.

This weekend, I am going to try a Brisket.  My question is whether to purchase a brisket trimmed or untrimmed? 

Let me know your thoughts.

GusRobin

I would go with untrimmed. You can always trim it but you can't add back the fat that wasa trimmed by someone else.
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

ArnieM

Untrimmed here also.  You can cut off as much of the fat/fat cap as you want.  As Gus said, you can't put it back.
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

beefmann

same as above and season it. im doing 30 lbs of brisket for the  4 th,,,, dont think its gonna make to the  5 th

ArnieM

Alliecat61 - Seems strange.  Our oldest cat, a Maine Coon is named Allie Cat  :D

Anyway, check out this education and recipe from the recipe site.  It's probably some of the best I've made.

http://www.susanminor.org/forums/showthread.php?532-Brisket-Pachanga
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

classicrockgriller

An untrimmed Brisket is more forgiving than a trimmed brisket.

It will take longer cause of the thickness of the meat and fat cap, etc.

DTAggie

Untrimmed for sure.  Everyone has their favorite rub and technique.  All of them great.  I have found keeping it simple works best for me.  Salt and pepper and I throw some Grub Rub in there.

waterkc

I have just run this gambit myself, if I had to do it all over again UNTRIMMED for sure.
"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and loose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves. - Abraham Lincoln."

alliecat61

Thanks everyone for your input.  I will definitely go with untrimmed.  I will post after the week to let you know how it went.

Happy "smoking" 4th!

Caneyscud

No question, no debate - untrimmed. 
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"