Can I brine too long?

Started by johnnytahoe, June 09, 2005, 07:08:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnnytahoe

Oh man, what a disaster. I decided to go ahead and smoke that week-old, overbrined salmon. I installed the replacement slider switch and was off and running. The recipe I was using called for between 8-24 hours of smoking with a honey/water wash about half way through. Well, I put in the salmona nd cranked it up to high. (I was never  able to get the heat to read above 190F on the thermomter)

I went out for a while and came back and checked the temp reading after 6 hours. It was still under 190F. I made my wash and opened the door....

Hey, what happened to my salmon strips? All that was in there were black hockey puck strips, dry to the core. I went ahead and tasted one... Ever tried a salt lick?

Well aside from proving that you CAN brine too long. I am at a loss on why they fried so quickly. Cuuld my thermometer be off by 50F? I just purchase the Maverick ET-73 at another memebrs recommendation, so I might get a more accurate reading of the temp at rack/meat level.

I guess I'll have to go back to Alaska and snag up a few more pounds of King

Phone Guy

Well the good news is that you aren't going to get sick from those things[;)]. I would suspect there is a problem with the temp probe. Did you observe the temp on the door of your BS? Did you have a probe in the fillet also? I always try to probe whatever I am smoking.
Well I haven't been to Alaska but would love to. I have a friend in Soldatna and am looking for the opportunity to get up there. I think this sounds like a good reason for you to go back.

JJC

JT,

Sounds like you have a door thermometer that's reading too low.  Many of use a cheap dual probe remote thermometer, the Maverick ET-73 ($40 or less).  Some folks have some really expensive and elegant devices for controlling the temp, but you should definitely get the Mav if you're not looking to spend an additonal $300+.  Meanwhile, if you get a Mav and it reads singificantly different from the door thermometer, call Bradley and they will gladly replace it for you.

John
Newton MA
John
Newton MA

Kummok

JT:
Been there/done that, with rainbow trout![xx(]  That was BEFORE the new/improved recipe for smoking salmon....see it at: http://www.bradleysmoker.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=120  or at Old's (et al) recipe site: http://susan.rminor.com/forums/showthread.php?t=105

From the sounds of it, the temps were too high/too long and strips too thin. I've crispy crittered a few pieces myself, even with the later recipe, especially at the back of the smoker, directly above the heating element....I just put the few black ones in a ZipLoc, add some Chef Pauls Balckened Redfish Magic, shake well, serve and tell everyone that it's blackened smoked salmon....no complaints so far and they all think I did it on purpose![:0][:D][:D][;)]

P.S.
Whew!! Glad to hear back from you.....I was starting to think I should NEVER give advice on eating stuff again![:0][;)]

35 years of extinguishing smoking stuff and now I'm wondering WHY!
Kummok @ Homer, AK USA

manxman

JT:

Sounds like one of those things that was preordained not to work right from the start, we all have them from time to time, whatever you do they just ain't NEVER going to come out right!![}:)][:(]

The good news is that things can only get better!! Or is that tempting fate!!!![}:)][}:)]

Better luck next time, I have a Maverick and they are excellent.[:)][:)]

Manxman.
Manxman